Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Processing a Bowl Blank - Pics

Dennis,

Pictures are worth a thousand words.... Well yours are worth a million!

I have heard you guys talking about the DNA method, but now I really understand what was communicated!

Thanks a million!
    The most feared words in the English Language; "Were from the Government, and were here to help" -- Ronald Regan

Thanks from me too Dennis!

I have my first bowl drying as we speak and your newspaper method will work much better than my paper bag did.

Pete
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Well Dennis.....

First.........Thanks my friend! Not wrapping my cherry bowl in newspaper probably explains why the next morning after removing it from the alcohol bath.......it had horrendous cracks!

This ought to be an article!

Thanks again from a newbie turner!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    Well Dennis.....

First.........Thanks my friend! Not wrapping my cherry bowl in newspaper probably explains why the next morning after removing it from the alcohol bath.......it had horrendous cracks!

This ought to be an article!

Thanks again from a newbie turner!
    That, and the fact that it's cherry would explain the cracks. We had a fresh cherry log about 5 foot long literally split end to end. It's very susceptible to cracking. I've had good luck with the alky method and cherry though. In fact I have a cherry bowl in the bath as we speak.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Dennis steered me to this method a while back and have been using it every since. Have not lost a bowl yet due to cracking or checking. Thanks Dennis for the tip.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks Dennis, I'm one of those who never tried the DNA method, used anchor seal, chips and paper bag and 6 months. Your super pictorial has got me getting some DNA today and trying it this weekend.

Jim

THank you, Thank you ,Thank you from a novice.

More, more, more....

As a "newbie" that is exactly what I was looking for ... Pictures. It makes it so much easier to get your piont across to a dumb ole country boy like me.

Thanks for taking time to shows us new guys a thing or two.

KEEP THOSE TUTORIALS COMING.

Not wrapping my cherry bowl in newspaper probably explains why the next morning after removing it from the alcohol bath.......it had horrendous cracks!
    That brings up a question: I'm not sure about where Ken is, but I live in a much drier climate than Arkansas. (Well, not counting days like Wednesday... )

The bit about cutting the "porthole" in the newspaper: should that possibly be omitted for those of use living in the southwest?
    Or will the blanks just dry faster after they come out of the bath?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

.....Not wrapping my cherry bowl in newspaper probably explains why the next morning after removing it from the alcohol bath.......it had horrendous cracks!
    Ken - You wrap the piece in the newspaper after the bath. That piece was gonna crack no matter what you did.
    Only the Blue Roads

Yeah Andy....that's what I failed to do.....I removed it from the bath and set it on a window sill without wrapping it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Dennis,
    Since you are the DNA expert, is there anything I should do about this knot in the bottom of my bowl? I have already bathed it and it is drying. It is 13" now after starting out at 17".
    Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Thanks for the lesson Dennis.

Dennis,
    Thanks for your tutorial. I've copied and included in my primer.
    Ed

Great information, Dennis. I haven't yet progressed to bowl turning, but I'll certainly file this away for future reference!

Thanks,

Erin
    For all your days prepare and treat them ever alike. When you are the anvil, bear; When you are the hammer, strike.