Thread: Jig and finishing question

Jig and finishing question

1. I'm going to make one of the plywood jigs for holding bowls while turning off the tenon on the bottom and finishng the bottom. Can I rough cut the plywood using a jigsaw and then turn the plywood round after it's mounted to the faceplate?

2. I have another 6"x6"x 6" glueup of maple/purpleheart/maple I want to turn into a bowl. Could or should I do the following:

a. wipe on BLO and buff using a paper towel while on the lathe..to pop the grain in maple and the color of the purpleheart.
    b. Put on a coat of dewaxed shellac.........
    c. follow with a coat or two of lacquer from a spray can
    c. buff using the Beal system........

Any advice would be appreciated!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

1. I'm going to make one of the plywood jigs for holding bowls while turning off the tenon on the bottom and finishng the bottom. Can I rough cut the plywood using a jigsaw and then turn the plywood round after it's mounted to the faceplate?

Sure you can.

2. I have another 6"x6"x 6" glueup of maple/purpleheart/maple I want to turn into a bowl. Could or should I do the following:

a. wipe on BLO and buff using a paper towel while on the lathe..to pop the grain in maple and the color of the purpleheart.
    b. Put on a coat of dewaxed shellac.........
    c. follow with a coat or two of lacquer from a spray can
    c. buff using the Beal system........

Any advice would be appreciated!
    The advice I would give you about using lacquer is use the shellac then spray multiple coats with lacquer from a can. I would not use the BLO to pop the grain because the shellac and lacquer will do it. I have quit using the Beal Buffing System on lacquer because it will eat through the lacquer. Others have had success by waiting for about 1 month until the lacquer has had time to cure, and then buffing, but I have had horror stories buffing lacquer. If you need to smooth the lacquer try pumice stone and rottenstone. This combination will give you a smooth glossy finish on lacquer, and you do not have to wait a long time for the lacquer to cure. BTY I use a synthetic steel wool to hand rub the lacquer between the application of each coats where I can feel a nub. This often eliminates the need for futher use of anything after a final spray coat.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Ken I agree with Glenn. I use friction polish first (generally a couple of coats) and let that dry. I then follow up with 2 to 4 coats of lacquer. It works for me and gives a nice shine plus pops the grain. Also if you buff after putting lacquer on you risk getting it hot and that melts the lacquer. You will have a mess.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl
    Ken I agree with Glenn. I use friction polish first (generally a couple of coats) and let that dry. I then follow up with 2 to 4 coats of lacquer. It works for me and gives a nice shine plus pops the grain. Also if you buff after putting lacquer on you risk getting it hot and that melts the lacquer. You will have a mess.
    Interesting can I ask what friction polish you use? I though most contained some wax that would be troublesome for the lacquer.
    Mike Vickery

I agree....spray lacquer is great! (hic)
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I use Mylands Friction Polish. I have never had any problems putting lacquer on top of it. I always let the friction polish dry for at least a day.

John you been spraying lacquer again????
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.