Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Post By New Member With Pics.

First Post By New Member With Pics.

Hi All,

I thought I would jump into the creek with some pictures of my latest project. First is a TV cabinet in solid cherry, shaker style.

tv stand front.jpg tv stand side.jpg

Since the cabinet will house the kid's game system and will be open some of the time I went with a ship lapped back.

tv stand open.jpg

This TV cabinet sites in the family room I just renovated. I live in a small cape and space is at a premium so I put in some cabinets from Kraftmaid to create a home office/kid's junk storage area. The desktop is solid cherry.

office front.jpg office side.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the pictures but my camera stinks. (The photagrapher is not very talented either.) Any and all comments welcome but please be kind to the new hack.

Darren

Welcome to SMC !!!! and you have started off with a bang a little intro about yourself and then you toss in some pics to boot. The Pic Police will approve The furniture looks great, keep them coming.
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

welcome darren! nice work...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Wink

Hello,

Great looking tv stand. Could you tell us your finish schedule? Inquiring minds want to know. Welcome to the Creek. I'm fairly new too. I do know that they really like pictures. LOL

Gary K.

"Hack" you say??? I think NOT!!! Very nice work on both projects! Welcome and hope to see you 'round the Creek a whole lot more! Oh, and great job on your first post!!! Tyler would be proud of you!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Welcome to the creek and you came in the right way with some pictures of some great work.

Welcome to the Creek Darren! You obviously know the protocols...photos included! Nice projects ...Nice!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks everyone for your kind words. In response to Gary K., I usually schedule the finish for sometime near the end of the project. (Collective groan) Seriously, it's Watco natural danish oil and wax.

Darren

Welcome to the Creek Darren, great bunch of folks around here.
    David

Question on your shiplapping

Hello Darren,
    Welcome and nice work! Question on your shiplapped back. How did you lap the boards together, specifically did you rabbet an edge or just flat edges pushed together? I am working on a shiplapped back also, but the boards are 1/8" so I think rabbeting would make too thin an edge. I have seen it done a variety of ways, and was wondering your technique.

Darren,

Welcome to SMC. The TV stand has earned you automatic membership in the special, one of a kind, SMC Shaker Club.

Seriously, excellent work. Did you use plans for the TV stand, or draw it up yourself? Very nice design and execution, and cherry is my favorite wood.

If you want to see some more Shaker stuff, do a search on "threads started by" Jason Tuinstra. Jason's work is outstanding!

Or, just do a search on "shaker" and you will find quite a few nice pieces.

Again, welcome!
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Darren, first off, welcome! Good to have you hear. Second, excellent projects. It would appear that the Shaker club is going to be growing yet again. Check with Martin, he'll get you your badge Seriously, very nice pieces.

"Hack" eh.. I don't think so. That cherry TV cabinet is very well done. Nice grain matching, clean sharp lines, Reveal around the doors is symetrical, and the finish is very nice. Not too glossy, and not too flat. Just right. The ship lapped back is a killer touch.
    I also like the kid's "junk" area. I don't know what Kraftmaid is, I'm assuming it is some form of a kit, but that looks like a really nice area for a kid.

Darren. Welcome to Sawmill Creek, pleased to meet ya' .

Welcome, Beautiful work.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus

Very nice Darren; I like the look of the doors. Welcome to the Creek. Alan in Md.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.