Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norton antivirus re-new or try AVG ?

Norton antivirus re-new or try AVG ?

The Norton anti-virus is telling me that my year is up tomorrow and time to renew.

I had hear that AVG is as good and works without slowing your computor down.

Anyone had experience with AVG??

Cheers,

Kent

kent, if by avg you mean kaspersky? i`ve been using it for several years with no problems..02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Avg

I've been using AVG free home edition for about 2 years now and I'm quite happy with it. You can set it to scan on boot up or at a specific time of day. It will slow down you computer somewhat but it really depends on what type processor you have and how much memory is installed.
    I had Norton in the past and I don't like buying something every year so I tried AVG and have used it ever since.
    You can find out more information at PC World.com They have online reviews and tutorials.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    kent, if by avg you mean kaspersky? i`ve been using it for several years with no problems..02 tod
    Tod, I only know it as AVG. see here http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1

Cheers,

KP

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Parker
    Tod, I only know it as AVG. see here http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1

Cheers,

KP
    kent, here`s what i`ve been using with good luck;
    http://www.kaspersky.com/
    .02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

I am very pleased with AVG. My computer guru recommended it over Norton.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Blog Entries
    Another free option is www.avast.com I have been using it for over a year after I got fed up with NAV performance issues and extreme cost especially when it is installed on all 3 computer I have!
    The only thing I wish I could do with avast is to schedule it to run a full scan on a periodic basis.(pro version does this) It scans email and downloads as the come in, and new definition files are downloaded automatically almost every day.
    When I was researching my options last year to replace NAV, AVG and Avast were about equal in functionally, so I flipped coin and avast won. The one thing that I learned in doing my research was that even though NAV and McAfee are the most popular, they are probably the WORST choices for anti-virus software due to performance issues and useless features designed to get you to upgrade. Do yourself a favor and do a little Google research on the subject. It sure opened my eyes.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 04-05-2006 at 11:12 AM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I had Norton and dumped it for AVG, I also run Spyware Doctor, Noadware, and Spybot. No problems with them running as far as slowdowns, and haven't gotten any infections for close to a year
    now.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Becker put me on to AVG. I like it, does a fine job.

AVG works well for for me...no Norton products on my machine, and I doubt there ever will be.

- Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan
    ...no Norton products on my machine, and I doubt there ever will be.

- Vaughn
    I'm curious - why?

We (my wife and I) have used the free version of AVG for a little over two years and it has worked very well for us.

13. Kent, I have been using AVG Free edition for a little over a year now, and it works great. The techs at my internet provider recommended it and said it is one that definitely works. My computer was running slow, installed this, ran a system check and found 2 or 3 viruses, it fixed them (however that happens) and the computer works great again. HTH, Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    I'm curious - why?
    In the past on various machines I noticed that Norton would miss things, but when I added other products to the PC the Norton product was not compatible with the others, so they couldn't run at the same time. It's almost like Norton didn't want people to use something else.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    I'm curious - why?
    Rob,
    I really HATE Norton(Symantic) because of their lack of decent customer support and their ever rising cost. They will charge you to talk to tech support about issues with their software. If anything they should pay me (well not me anymore!) for helping debug their products. They are worse than Microsoft (well maybe) about program bloat and adding useless "features" that bring no real value to their product. When Norton anti-virus first came out many years ago the virus definition files were free "forever", then after Symantic bought them they started charging a "nominal" fee (something like $3.95 per year). Each year it has gone up, $5.95, then $9.95 to whatever it is now ($39.95 the last time I checked) Multiply that times the number of computers you have around the house, and that's a pretty sizable chunck of change. That is very hard to justify especially when there is BETTER software out there to protect your PC that is FREE. I cannot for the life of me figure out why anyone would want something like that. Advertising I guess, or maybe they just don't know any better.

Sorry for the rant!!!! But I just can't stand Norton Anti-virus.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 04-05-2006 at 2:15 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.