Thread: wood pens....cost to engrave?

wood pens....cost to engrave?

Hello everyone,

I have a customer that wants his handmade pens engraved for his customers but I am unsure on what to charge per pen. Any help here would be appreciated.

1 line
    2 line
    1 line with logo
    2 line with logo

Denny K

Hi Dennis,

The usual rate for lasering seems to be $1 per minute for set up (file tweaking, size setting, alignment/jig making etc.) plus $1 per minute laser run time. For the simple 1 and 2 line stuff with a small logo I'd say it shouldn't take more than about 10 to 15 minutes to set up, and laser time estimates would be:

1 line = 1 minute
    2 line = 1.5 minute
    1 line+logo = 2.5 minutes
    2 line+logo = 3 minutes

These are just my best guess based on work I've done on my laser. Note, I am not bidding on this job - I'm far too busy for that! I'm assuming you have a laser engraver and just want some pointers as to what to charge. Don't forget to include the cost of a few pens as waste (for set up).

Cheers,
    Dave F.

wood pens....cost to engrave?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fifield
    Hi Dennis,

The usual rate for lasering seems to be $1 per minute for set up (file tweaking, size setting, alignment/jig making etc.) plus $1 per minute laser run time. Don't forget to include the cost of a few pens as waste (for set up).

Cheers,
    Dave F.
    That's what I charge, also might suggest using similar diameter dowel for testing/setup before you hit a real pen.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Thank you both for your input. Yes....I do have a laser engraver (Epilog Mini18) I was just looking to see how much everyone else is charging. I had figured on $3-$5 per pen...depending on quantity + setup fees. The idea with the dowels is perfect....I never thought of using them. I know I can count on great advice from this forum. Thank you again!!

Dennis Kotlowski Jr.
    JD Laser Gifts
    www.jdlasergifts.com

Dennis, do you have the rotary attachment for your Mini? You can get away with doing one or maybe two lines of small text with the pen in a homemade jig and lasering it "flat", but if you have a logo that subtends an angle of more than about 20 degrees on the pen, you'll need the rotary attachment to laser it cleanly.

Cheers,
    Dave F.

Dave F.

No....I have not invested in the rotary attachment yet. I have not seen the need for it. Hopefully in the future it will be an add-on I will get

Dennis