Thread: Virus Question.

Question Virus Question.

With the new virus going around, will my anti-virus (Norton) catch it or do I still need to go to Microsoft and get the patch? How would I know if I'm protected or not? Any way to find out? I'd hate to find out the hard way.

Thanks,

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tonich
    With the new virus going around, will my anti-virus (Norton) catch it or do I still need to go to Microsoft and get the patch? How would I know if I'm protected or not? Any way to find out? I'd hate to find out the hard way.

Thanks,

Joe
    If Norton is fully updated (manually do this if necessary), and properly activated, you are protected. HOWEVER, you should still go to MS and download the security patch to fix the hole in your Windows (I'm so punny).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl
    HOWEVER, you should still go to MS and download the security patch to fix the hole in your Windows (I'm so punny).
    Sheeesh Jason, sometimes your humor is pane-full. (Sorry, couldn't resist.) Anyhow, yeah to what Jason said. Also, another recommended step for Winders XP users is to enable the "Firewall" protection, which is built in to the operating system. It's quite painless to do and, for folks who don't wish to or don't understand the heavier duty software firewalls, it's easy to initiate and zero maintenance. (Just go to the "Help & Support" area and type in "firewall". It will give you an easy walk-thru of how to do it.) NO, it will NOT take care of as much as the more prominent firewalls out there, but for instance, in this latest RPC vulnerability attack, if people would've had that enabled on their XP boxes, they still would've been relatively safe, even without the patch. But, absolutely, keep you anti-virus up to date, as well as the "Critical Updates" for Winders.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Blaster Worm Security Vulnerability

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Sheeesh Jason, sometimes your humor is pane-full. (Sorry, couldn't resist.) Anyhow, yeah to what Jason said. Also, another recommended step for Winders XP users is to enable the "Firewall" protection, which is built in to the operating system. It's quite painless to do and, for folks who don't wish to or don't understand the heavier duty software firewalls, it's easy to initiate and zero maintenance. (Just go to the "Help & Support" area and type in "firewall". It will give you an easy walk-thru of how to do it.) NO, it will NOT take care of as much as the more prominent firewalls out there, but for instance, in this latest RPC vulnerability attack, if people would've had that enabled on their XP boxes, they still would've been relatively safe, even without the patch. But, absolutely, keep you anti-virus up to date, as well as the "Critical Updates" for Winders.
    For those of you using Windows systems:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...n/MS03-026.asp

There's the link where you can apply the appropriate patch
    which MS claims fixes the security vulnerability.

_Aaron_

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl
    For those of you using Windows systems:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...n/MS03-026.asp

There's the link where you can apply the appropriate patch
    which MS claims fixes the security vulnerability.

_Aaron_
    How do you find out which Windows XP you have, 32 bit or 64 bit?? Why can't they make things simple??

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tonich
    How do you find out which Windows XP you have, 32 bit or 64 bit?? Why can't they make things simple??

Joe
    Unless you have a big-a$& data center server, you have the 32 bit version.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

generally speaking, of course...

a) for security fixes, *always* patch. never trust an a/v product to bandaid a hole.

b) unless you're running an Itanic (oops, Itanium) processor, you're running 32 bit.

what a hassle,

b