Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Non concealed weapon across state lines LEGALLY

Gentlemen,

thank you for your input.

Got an awesome link from this thread that has all my answers. I appreciate your help.

FWIW, when the guns are in the house they will certainly be locked and out of access of little hands. That is not a problem. Locked in a wall mounted cabinet in the shop and the keys only accessible by ME. (maybe the wife too, but not around PMS time :-).

Appreciate it fellas. Fanx a lot

(Also not trying to spark a debate...) Nic, in my experience as a long-haired hippie-looking gun owner, and who's been friends with several cops, I agree with Joe in that most (if not all) cops would rather not be surprised about the fact that you have a gun. I've never come across one that didn't want me to have my gun, but they appreciated hearing about it before they found it themselves. In at least one instance, I believe that by being straightforward and honest with the officer about the loaded gun in the console of my Jeep, he let me slide on other things he could have written me up for.

I grew up in a house with lots of guns, and even as a young kid I was taught safe gun handling. There was a loaded handgun in every car my dad owned, and I did the same when I started owning handguns. I finally stopped carrying a loaded handgun in the car a few years after I moved to CA. I figured it really wasn't worth a felony conviction. I prefer places like New Mexico, where you car is considered an extension of your home, so concealed in the car is legal. (Or it was last I checked.)

- Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Littleton

FWIW, when the guns are in the house they will certainly be locked and out of access of little hands. That is not a problem. Locked in a wall mounted cabinet in the shop and the keys only accessible by ME.

My father was a police officer in Detroit and when he said "Do Not Touch" he meant it and I never did. I had the fear of God and of his 3" wide belt. One time during a Thanksgiving dinner my grandmother called upstairs to us and said someone was breaking in next door. We went to investigate, then my dad told me to go get his gun . I ran back upstairs, went to the cabinet where he kept it off-duty and I just stood there. My hand wouldn't move towards the gun. Then my mom came in and handed it to me and I ran down the stairs carrying it by the barrel. Then my dad went next door and started shooting at the intruders. NOTE: ( this was a day and age when there was no such thing as excessive force). Anyways he caught one guy, had the guy on the ground with his gun in the back of his head then my grampa came over who was also a retired cop was standing with his foot on the guys head. The other went back out the front door, and scrambled down the street. when they broke in, the guy who got away must have cut himself because the next day the investigators followed a blood trail down the block to someones house who said" I don't know nothing" It'a wonder that the crime rate goes down when a state passes a right-to-carry law.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Littleton
    Any of you guys got any good resources on information about carrying of guns across the state line of your residence state to another state. More precisely, from AZ to CA.

Off on vacation and am thinking of taking the guns but want to do it legally.

I can wear a weapon on my belt in AZ and freely roam around but CA, I aint sure. Nor am I sure of how to carry it across state.

cheers
    This link lists which States honor other State CWP's. You can also purchase a Legally Armed Travel Guide $6.00 + S&H (scroll to the very bottom of the web page)

It indicates Califorinia honors Arizona permits.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 04-02-2006 at 5:53 PM.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    This link lists which States honor other State CWP's. You can also purchase a Legally Armed Travel Guide $6.00 + S&H (scroll to the very bottom of the web page)

It indicates Califorinia honors Arizona permits.
    Or not. Actually it indicates that Arizona honors California permits, not the other way around:

The states of Arizona, Georgia, Idaho, Mississippi, and Montana, have twenty-one (21) states that honor their state license or permit to carry weapons. Here is list of the states that honor their CCW license or permit:
    ARIZONA
    Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Wyoming.

Note that California is not one of those listed. Going the other direction:

The states of California, Connecticut, Iowa, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, and Oregon, each have twelve (12) states that honor their state license or permit to carry weapons. Here is list of the states that honor their CCW license or permit:
    CALIFORNIA
    Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Utah, Verrnont.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

The laws from state to state vary widely on carrying guns, and there is a lot of misinformation and "roadside legal advise" dispensed on the 'net. Know the laws, even if you have to hire an attorney to research them for you. Running afoul of these laws can lead to mandatory sentencing in some states, ie.. CT. Even the trooper may not be able to help you.

As responsible gun owners, trying to protect what is left of our Second Ammendment Rights. We need to not do things that compromise our existing rights.
    According to NRA research,polls and articles.The majority of local law enforcment agencies, and the rank and file officers, support your right to exercise your 2nd Ammendment rights within the boundries of the law. This is not a voice that anyone that wants to continue to be able to carry a firearm legally wants to alienate. Co-operate with the officer on the side of the road, he/she may be the person that keeps you out of jail at the courthouse.

Sorry to hop on the soapbox, but as someone that used to compete in shotgun and pistol competitions, and hunted in different states. I would like to be able to do so again some day, time permitting. I apologize for the tone, but this is a pretty serious subject.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 04-03-2006 at 2:04 PM.

Don't mean to be the downer here, but...

If I was the civil authority in a position to grant you permission, the first two questions that I'd ask are:
    • Why do you need to bring a firearm into my state?
    • And why must it be concealed when you do so?
    There would be numerous follow up questions.
    Only the Blue Roads

So is a rifle locked in a case & ammo locked in a separate case locked in a car trunk considered concealed?
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    If I was the civil authority in a position to grant you permission, the first two questions that I'd ask are:
    Andy.

Maine offers a number of hunting opportunities that attract out of state hunters. This brings in a not so small amount of income to the state from permit fees, and of course the money spent on meals, lodging and beer. Maine also has some of the best areas for field trial competition for dogs. The area around the Merrymeeting bay is awesome for dog training and competition.
    Maine has some very sensible laws for out of state hunters. You do however have to drive through Mass and NH to get there. So you need to also be legal in those two states.
    I do not believe that Maine allowed me to carry a concealed weapon the last ime I went there for a competition. Connecticut's laws require the pistol to be carried concealed, but that doesn't automatically give you the right to carry concealed everywhere.
    The last time I brought a pistol into Maine there was a process to check in ahead of time, so as to not run afoul of the law. It was pretty easy, and there would be no reason to challenge Maine's requirements.
    Even though I have a concealed carry permit. I personally do no carry a weapon just for the sake of having it. I need it to legally transport a pistol in Ct.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 04-03-2006 at 9:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch
    So is a rifle locked in a case & ammo locked in a separate case locked in a car trunk considered concealed?
    No. It's actually the best thing to do lock the unloaded gun in a box separate from the locked box with the ammo.

The Trunk is still sacred space under Federal law.

To search the trunk they must do one of the following:
    Get a warrant
    or
    Have the car towed to a police impound lot . "Al's Towing" isn't good enough.

The boxes being locked is even better.

Federal law lets you carry across state lines in a locked box.

State laws prosecutors and cops may differ but you should win the day after you spend 20-Grand on legal defense.

Then if the cops violated your ciivil rights by searching illegally you can sue 'em in federal court.

Here's the federal law about transporting firearms accross state lines. I copied this from the the state of Florida link, I posted above.

Sec 18 USC 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms.
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    Interstate travel with a firearm is, therefore, permissible as long as the firearm is unloaded and in such a place that it is completely inaccessible (preferably the trunk of the vehicle).
    HOWEVER, WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT CITIZENS PLANNING TO TRAVEL WITH A FIREARM SHOULD CALL THE LAW ENFORCEMENT OR LICENSING AUTHORITIES IN THE STATES TO OR THROUGH WHICH THEY WILL BE TRAVELING TO OBTAIN THE LATEST INFORMATION REGARDING WEAPON TRANSPORT LAWS. IN SOME CASES, STATE LAW TAKES PRECEDENCE OVER FEDERAL LAW REGARDING INTERSTATE TRANSPORT OF FIREARMS.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz

Gun violence is a huge problem. It is not a huge problem because of guns or availablility of guns. That is a social problem that I would love to discuss over a few beers someday.

Joe
    Social problem? Oooh yeah. I'll bet You see some things that make you wonder just WHAT species that was. My hat's off to You and your fellow officers.

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms
    Social problem? Oooh yeah. I'll bet You see some things that make you wonder just WHAT species that was. My hat's off to You and your fellow officers.

Curt
    Thanks Curt.

That makes me wonder if you were watching today at work. I will say it is nothing if not interesting sometimes.

One of the old timers told me years ago when I started that "somedays are good days, somedays are not good days."

Today was a funny day.

All the best back at ya.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

From what I've read and seen on media, ok so this isn't going to be the best sources, the states that allow CCW has the least gun related violence or crimes. Like I said, I don't know how good those sources of information are but I'm sure someone out there must know. I for one believe all states should allow CCW as long as you're not a convicted felon which is the criteria for getting a gun permit to begin with. The theory amongst the supporters are...they'll think twice before they attempt to commit a crime against someone that might be armed. How come only the bad guys get to carry guns anyway? Ok I'm getting down from the soapbox. I forgot we were in a woodworking forum. Have I shown you the AK-47 I made out of Walnut?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    The need to bring a gun inot any state is obvious, protection. The need to conceal it is so as not to cause undo concern. To acquire a CCW permit you must demonstrate proper use and care as well as some skill in handling the gun in addition to clean criminal and mental record. In other words by having a CCW permit the state that issues it trusts you know how to care and use it. But it would be un-nerving to see someone with a gun walking around. And of course it goes wioth out saying that criminals would love know if you have a gun or not both to avoid you and/or to take it from you at an opportune moment.
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.