Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where are our ladies?

Where are our ladies?

Seems like I haven't seen many post by Carole and Shelly lately. Where are our lady friends?

Been wondering about that too. Add Pat Jeddy to the list.

And while we're at it - where's Bill Stevener?
    Only the Blue Roads

I see that Carole has been pretty active on Wood Central. Don't know about the others.

Normah is MIA as well.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    You spin heads drove them off. Just as they were bringing a little class to this place.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 04-01-2006 at 8:27 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Don't add me to the list of spin heads who drove all the ladies off,(I don't really think we did). I kinda like ladies/turners as it keeps my language in line.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    You spin heads drove them off. Just as they were bringing a little class to this place
    ....and they had a newbie just the other day, and she only got Mr. Hart's attention. oops...also Bernie.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33726

shame on you guys .

Just kidding, you are all fine upstanding gentleman....
    Last edited by Steve Ash; 03-31-2006 at 4:27 PM.

Carole told me in a PM that she is swamped at work and trying to reduce her face-time with that DANG COMPUTER!!!

Guess she's busy.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Carole told me in a PM that she is swamped at work and trying to reduce her face-time with that DANG COMPUTER!!!

Guess she's busy.
    Sheesh!!!! I need to do that as well...!!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

But if computers ARE her work and she's reducing the amount of face she gives to the computer, how can she be swamped?
    Only the Blue Roads

Chris,
    I cannot answer your question with surety, but I will offer you my theory.
    • Someone pointed out that the emperor had no clothes.
    • Some averted their eyes.
    • A very few publicly concurred with that observation.
    • No small number (especially from the turning community), viciously attacked the person who originally stated her observation.
    • Medical opinions and advice were dispensed by one who had no qualifications to do so regarding the chemical and psychological condition of the original observer.
    • SMC members (and the internet community at large), were allowed to observe and/or post to the thread for many hours after it violated our TOS.
    • Some women SMC members either observed this travesty of the TOS application or heard of it through the grapevine, and were so appalled and threatened by the conduct of male Creekers in said thread that they have chosen to keep company with woodworkers on forums that respect women rather than the Creek where immature over the hill men have been slipping in their drool in their laughably self-demeaning efforts to faun before any woman who posts here.

Frankly Chris, I see the Creek as a (the?), most wonderful resource for people at all levels of woodworking expertise to come together and share questions and knowledge. I post this because I am terribly concerned that your question points to a vital aspect of the Creek’s evolution that must be addressed. People can be seriously hurt in the exchanges we have here, and I hope we will all wake up to that.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Chaffee
    Chris,
    I cannot answer your question with surety, but I will offer you my theory.
    • Someone pointed out that the emperor had no clothes.
    • Some averted their eyes.
    • A very few publicly concurred with that observation.
    • No small number (especially from the turning community), viciously attacked the person who originally stated her observation.
    • Medical opinions and advice were dispensed by one who had no qualifications to do so regarding the chemical and psychological condition of the original observer.
    • SMC members (and the internet community at large), were allowed to observe and/or post to the thread for many hours after it violated our TOS.
    • Some women SMC members either observed this travesty of the TOS application or heard of it through the grapevine, and were so appalled and threatened by the conduct of male Creekers in said thread that they have chosen to keep company with woodworkers on forums that respect women rather than the Creek where immature over the hill men have been slipping in their drool in their laughably self-demeaning efforts to faun before any woman who posts here.

Frankly Chris, I see the Creek as a (the?), most wonderful resource for people at all levels of woodworking expertise to come together and share questions and knowledge. I post this because I am terribly concerned that your question points to a vital aspect of the Creek’s evolution that must be addressed. People can be seriously hurt in the exchanges we have here, and I hope we will all wake up to that.

Frank
    Thanks Frank. I did get some personal communications from some of the ladies that echoed exactly what you said. And, sadly I was suspecting something of that nature to be the case. I was unaware of the original situation that precipitated this so I was a bit clueless at first. I agree with your observations entirely.

Ladies, please come back! We aren't all bad. And I promise that at least most of us are interested in your woodworking skills and unique perspective. We need your diversity!

hmmmm. I just went back and found that thread. Wasn't aware of it at the time.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

What a shame! I, for one, miss their postings and hope I wasn't involved in driving them away. I vaguely remember the thread...........
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    hmmmm. I just went back and found that thread. Wasn't aware of it at the time.
    I did not report the first waytoofaroutthere post as a bad post because I thot that it would speak for itself and deflate the negative arguments of some cruel posters. Unfortunately, I learned the next day, that was not the case, and the thread continued for quite some time in a very negative manner before being removed.
    If you are interested in this subject John Hart (and in my book you are referred to as “the esteemed John Hart), you may use your moderator status to also read the thread I began the next day titled “A sign of the times”, which was also moved to the moderators forum.
    Frank