Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any homemade saws?

Any homemade saws?

I was wondering today just how many, if any, folks have made their own carcase or dovetail saws and if so, where you got you blade from? Also, I think we would all like to see some of these handmade beauties.

Have you seen Mike W's saws?

Chris,

Let me introduce you to Mike Wenzloff ..... He's the best there is around these parts.

Look up some of his posts to see his beauties.

4. Did I hear my name?

Or maybe something larger?

Or perhaps a 22" panel saw:

Or...or...

But y'all have made me blush. No I better go out and work some of the color out of my cheeks...

Take care, Mike

I've been known to make a saw or two...

The blades, backs, and split nuts come in raw form from McMaster Carr...

Leif
    Last edited by Leif Hanson; 03-29-2006 at 9:02 PM.

6. Hi again, Chris.

Leif posting reminded me. Go to his web site. Under the Back Saw pages Leif gives part numbers for the steel, templates for spacing at various ppi, etc. Great tutorials really.

Leif--so when you going to open up a waiting list again? I've missed the last two...

Take care, Mike

Mike,
    Did you "tension" the blade of that panel saw? I've heard a little bit about the tensioning process but haven't been able to find a really good explanation of how it's done. Those saws look great - Leif's too - it really makes me want to start trying it out!

Thanks,
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by Leif Hanson
    I've been known to make a saw or two...
    Bravo, bravo! It's about time you start to come out of the closet again!

Nice looking saws Leif!

The middle one looks similar to what I have seen referred to as a "Phillidelphia" Handle, by some, and was trying to explain that to Mike recentely.

Have you ever heard it referred to as such?

There were also some makers in Britan that made saws with similar handles as well, possibly Moulson, or another popular maker of yesteryear.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

9. Quote Originally Posted by Alan DuBoff
    ...The middle one looks similar to what I have seen referred to as a "Phillidelphia" Handle, by some, and was trying to explain that to Mike recentely...
    It's a slightly modified version of a Faust & Winebrenner saw. As to who and where they were located is a bit of a mystery to me. But there are some examples floating around...

Take care, Mike

10. Did you "tension" the blade of that panel saw?
    Hi Jimmy. Thank you for the kind words.

The short answer regarding tensioning is, no.

The longer version has to do with whether a saw needs it or not. Ideally a saw is both flexible and retains proper tension in a cut. That is, does not vibrate excessively [certainly not due to the saw anyway] and or kink in the cut. A loose blade needs tensioned.

Take care, Mike

Mike,

I know there were variations on that style handle, just not sure of all whom made them like that. Disston did make some, or acquired a company that made handles like that, which is why I think I have seen this referred to as a Phillidelphia handle.

Before the OT police show up, I better post a saw that I made. This one is made from a Crown 8" Gent's saw, handle was cut off and new one added out of maple burl. I gave it away for galootaclaus 2005:

http://www.softorchestra.com/woodwor...otaclaus_2005/
    Last edited by Alan DuBoff; 03-30-2006 at 4:44 AM.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

12. Ha, it's not off-topic, but the picture police [Tyler] would be out to get you <g>. Your gift was well received by its recipient, too...

Yeah, the Disston #8 back saw is similar and the "oddity" of the even more elaborate saw at the Disstonian just prior to the #8 is kinda neat. The one drawback to Erv's books are the lack of pictoral representations. Wish it had 'em.

But you should see one that we may be making from Moxon...

Take care, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wenzloff
    Ha, it's not off-topic, but the picture police [Tyler] would be out to get you.<g>
    I just slipped one in there before he comes around, wouldn't want to upset him.

Truth be told, I'm not a saw maker and only played one to make a gift...

Interesting that the above saw did play a role in getting to my current saws you made for me. So, there was an evolution in the course of doing that.

I know your name came up in this thread, and I know that you can't say much about your saws per the guidelines, but I can.

If you have been contemplating building your own saw because you're intimidated by having to cut the blade slot currectly, or drill the holes properly, Mike has kits which will enable you to focus on the piece that takes the majority of time, and what is the most rewarding for most...the handle.

They come with blades all shaped and sharpened, drilled blade/handle, and you only need to shape and fit the handle.

If you want to build the entire saw yourself, post and Mike and/or Leif will probably offer advice as well. Building saws is certainly not rocket science.
    </g>
    --

First, thanks to everybody for posting to this inquery, the information has been great and I knew that the sages here could provide lots of wisdom. Second, Mike, Leif and Alan, what incredible handmade saws you have posted! I tried to find a website for Leif but, with no luck. Mike, I have seen some of your saws in previous posts and have always admired them. I only have a passing interest in making a saw now but, that also depends on difficulty factor and such. I am assuming that the blade steel you buy is "toothless" and that you are cutting it the teeth and providing the set for the specific tool that you make. Is that correct?

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    A lot a talent in da house!!!
    Beautiful work Gents
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/