Thread: Knight Toolworks

Knight Toolworks

As a person just getting into hand planing, I was wondering where wooden planes fit in. I have been looking at the Knight Toolworks planes. Would be as effective as their metal counterparts and would they last as long if well cared for? What planes should you start with? I already have an LN low angle block plane and a LN chisel plane because of their usefulness around the shop. Thank you for your time and help.
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

Steve's planes

I have a number of Steve's planes and love them all. I am currently anxiously awaiting delivery of a dovetail plane. In your case I would recommend his razee jack plane. Its longer than the smoother so it can also be used for joining. I have the regular jack which I bought before Steve made razees. The handle would make the plane easier to use, IMHO. It has the non-japanese blade. Once you learn the nuances of adjusting a wooden plane it will be off to the races. Steve makes an excellent product at a good price and I highly recommend him. His planes are definitely as effective at making shavings as their metal counterparts (I use both types of planes) and you don't have to deal with tuning Steve's planes before you use them. The irons are sharpened and honed to perfection. I have no affiliation with Steve but I am a very satisfied customer.

I see you live in southern CA. I also live there. E-mail me and if we live close enough you can stop by and try Steve's planes for yourself. I am always willing to help a newbie neanderthal down the slippery slope!

Second the motion

Lloyd,

Steve's planes are, just as Don says, wonderful to use and great values compared to other hand-made or limited-production tools. They will last longer than you or I if well cared for--indeed, they'll be heirlooms if you're fortunate enough to have woodworking progeny.

What I think you need to do is consider carefully what type of work you need to do which your LN block and chisel planes won't handle. A smoother, maybe, to put that glassy finish on that machine-planed stock that too often we're stuck with? A jointer or try-plane to true board edges so you can glue up wider panels? Or, as Don suggests, a jack plane that can do a pretty good job at both kinds of tasks?

Whatever you choose, good luck--and enjoy!

John

PS: I've got nothing against LN--have a bunch of them myself and use them all the time. Either way is a good way to go.

Funny you should ask this today, I was just sitting here thinking how much I enjoy using my Knight smoothing plane. I bought the plane about six months ago, and due to my inability (laziness) to set the iron. it sat on a shelf for five months. Last month I spent some time learning how to set the Iron (just an hour or two) and it is now my second favorite plane. When the tool budget allows I will be purchasing more of Mr. Knights planes. The instructions on his website, also included with the plane, make it very easy for an addlebrained person, such as myself, to learn to set and care for the plane. Also of note the plane did come set and sharpened to almost perfection.
    Ken
    Ken DeMarco
    Rawson, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Ken DeMarco
    Funny you should ask this today, I was just sitting here thinking how much I enjoy using my Knight smoothing plane. I bought the plane about six months ago, and due to my inability (laziness) to set the iron. it sat on a shelf for five months. Last month I spent some time learning how to set the Iron (just an hour or two) and it is now my second favorite plane. When the tool budget allows I will be purchasing more of Mr. Knights planes. The instructions on his website, also included with the plane, make it very easy for an addlebrained person, such as myself, to learn to set and care for the plane. Also of note the plane did come set and sharpened to almost perfection.
    Ken
    Thank you for your reply, but it makes me wonder. What is your favorite plane?

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Robins
    Thank you for your reply, but it makes me wonder. What is your favorite plane?
    Lloyd,
    My favorite is my type 4 bedrock 607c, A very good friend found it for me, very cheap and my daughter and I cleaned, adjusted, and sharpened it together, probably my most used plane. I just like the way it looks and feels. a little heavy but easy to use.
    Ken DeMarco
    Rawson, OH

Knight planes

I have one of Steve's razee jointers, and I love it..

Not only does it perform beautifully, it looks nice just sitting on my bench. And isn't that just as important as performance??

Seriously though, very nice fit and finish for the price, solid and stable construction, and a nice 1/4" thick iron. Plus it arrived ready to go right out of the box. I will definitely buy from him again, and would recommend him to anyone looking for a woodie or three for their shop..

I would like to thank evenyone for their kind replies. I am getting one of Knight Toolworks' razee jack planes. I would especially like to thank Don for the generous invitation to stop by and try out some of the planes. I didn't ask what wood your planes were made from, and now I wish that I had. I am giving the purpleheart a try. Work safe.

Lloyd

Knight Toolworks

I have a purple heart jack, a white oak jointer and a Padouk smoother. Don't know what wood my dovetail plane is made of, I haven't received it yet, although Steve says it is built. By the way, in case you haven't seen it, the October issue of Woodworkers Journal has an article written by Steve himself. Enjoy the shavings off your Knight plane! I am sure you won't be disappointed.

Try making your own wooden plane

Lloyd,

Think about making your own wooden planes. I have made half a dozen Krenov style planes, smoothers, jointer and round bottom with Hock blades and sharpened on Shapton stones, they work great. The surface shines. It's not difficult and onyl take a couple of evenings of work. You can find the directions to make them at the College of the Redwoods website.

I don't use my metal ones anymore except for rough work.

There is great satisfaction seeing the results from a tool that you made yourself.

Cheers,
    Greg

Blog Entries
    I brought this up today because I was looking at my three Knight planes that were in a plastic tub.
    They were put in the tubs when my son's crew entered my house after Hurricane Harvey flooded our house.
    I have a 24" long jointer, a high angle block, and a low angle block. In the same tub were two wooden plow planes as well as two wooden travishers.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-22-2018 at 11:46 AM.