Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Geezers and Others Goblet Contest Entries.

Ah.......but read the original thread......Judging done by SMCers' not just the contestants..........
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Hey, since there are no rules, I hereby take Keith's lead and disqualify all entries - except the one that i'll be posting in a day or two.
    Good idea Andy ! Now then, if I post my last entry at 11:59 pm on the 15th, then disqualify yours at the last second, maybe I could win. Yeah, that 'il work
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

keith - the race is on. Who can stay up the latest? Cuppa joe?
    Only the Blue Roads

4. I posted this a while ago, it was my first cup and second turning, norfolk pine. I don't have it (gifted it off) but I think it was around 6"Tall and maybe 3" wide, pretty thin, you could see light at the lower parts of the walls., these are pretty rough though. I'll have a walnut cup done by friday hopefully, I'll post it when it's done.
    First Chalice profile compressed.jpg

Ok...I had to do my first Goblet to see what I'm in for. So here it is. I just grabbed a scrap and wailed away at it...not worrying about nuthin'. Somehow, it survived. No sanding, no finish....6" High, 2.75" in diameter and got the wall thickness down to .089. Time to try it for real!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (101.8 KB, 28 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (96.1 KB, 22 views)
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Ok...I had to do my first Goblet to see what I'm in for. So here it is. I just grabbed a scrap and wailed away at it...not worrying about nuthin'. Somehow, it survived. No sanding, no finish....6" High, 2.75" in diameter and got the wall thickness down to .089. Time to try it for real!
    FOUL ! FOUL!......That was the design I was going to do !

TURN SAFE

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    keith - the race is on. Who can stay up the latest? Cuppa joe?
    Let 'er rip tater chip....give it your best shot

TURN SAFE

Question for you goblet turners. I watched a video at woodcraft on turning a goblet. After turning the interior of the goblet, do you stuff it with a rag and bring up the tail piece and finish turning the rest or do you use another method? Thanks,
    Corey

Since there are no rules, I claim for myself all entries that will be submitted.

Some nice goblets so far guys.

Ernie

Corey.....you could do that. I've been practising and haven't used that method yet. I had one launch on me today but it wasn't because I caught a gouge or vibration. There was either a large larve pocket or a rotted knot about 5/8-3/4" in diameter and about 3/4" in length running with the grain ...right in the center. I was roughing down grain from the base to the cup portion using my spindle gouge. I cut through about 75% of this knot/larva hole and the cup portion launched!

I've made 3 goblets so far......I keep my tools sharp and haven't experienced any vibration problems or any breaks until today. This launching was because of the deficit in the wood ....not because of methodology.

These are fun to make. You use a lot of different techniques...end grain...with the grain.....scraping........cutoff.....definitely an educational experience.

Tomorrow I hope to make my first bowl......we'll see.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks Ken for the info. Good luck on the bowl!

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Nyvall
    Since there are no rules, I claim for myself all entries that will be submitted.

Some nice goblets so far guys.

Ernie
    Oh, Ernie that is lower than low

TURN SAFE

Great goblets, guys. Since I don't think I will have time to turn one any time soon, here a couple that I did two years ago. The pine goblet is about 7 1/2" high. Walnut is 6 1/2".
    Gobblets1.jpg

14. Well I told you I'd get in here, not much, just about the size for holding an egg...

Attachment 35252

Blew up a couple before I got to this level.
    Dry soft fir, I think.....

Cheers!
    Last edited by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan; 11-24-2006 at 4:22 AM.

Stu that is outstanding! Nice looking form and scale. And to think you had trouble gettin that lathe. If it new how good you were it would have come looking for you.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day