Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turner Interview: Raymond Overman (updated w/ pics)

Pleasure to get to know you Raymond! And the Barbecue description has my mouth watering. We don't get much of that here in Utah but I used to travel to Alabama frequently and became very fond of Barbecue Pork and Lemon Merange Pie.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I promise I'm not that hung up on the name thing. It's just a little pet peeve.

Gordon, the barbeque is a family thing so we do have to have something for the kids to drink. Plus, we don't police what you add to your lemonade.

Dennis, the 14' Grizzly Bandsaw is a special order item. It's a heck of a sight sticking through the roof of the shop.

I've enjoyed everyone's posts and pictures on SMC. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing more.

And for all of you that commented on the barbeque, let me know how many of you will be coming.
    Last edited by Raymond Overman; 03-27-2006 at 11:07 PM.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Raymond, great interview. Nice to meet you. Very cosy shop you have, mine is a little bigger but not much.

Raymond, great interview. I am a fan. Especially of some of those small pieces you have turned recently. Nice to know you a little better! And I promise you I won't call you R**

corey

Very nice to meet you Mr. Overman!! I'm having a little trouble being grouped with Andy as a "Preventive Measure" but I'll try to live with it. Can I poke him with a stick?

Nice Interview!!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Poke away. Might help me understand if being a preventive measure is good or bad.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Poke away. Might help me understand if being a preventive measure is good or bad.
    Well, it's not really good or bad Andy and John. It's more like, "Uncle Louie's a little crazy and he's always getting you in trouble. Best you stay away from him. You remember that time he told you to pull his finger at church don't you?"
    Raymond Overman

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Pleased to meet you Mr. Overman! Enjoyed your interview! I also enjoy
    looking at your work..

Raymond...

Does this look familar? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13163

My lathe is a model 1460 made in 1942 or 43.

If you need the owners manual you can go to the old machines site or let me know. I can scan the part diagram and send it to you. PM me with an addresss.
    What if the light at the end of the tunnel is a train?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bourgeois
    Raymond...

Does this look familar? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13163

My lathe is a model 1460 made in 1942 or 43.

If you need the owners manual you can go to the old machines site or let me know. I can scan the part diagram and send it to you. PM me with an addresss.
    Yep Rob. That sure does look familiar. I'll have to take a look at the manual. The question is, is there a reasonable source for the pulley and have you replaced the bearings in your? If so, was it a bear to replace them?
    Raymond Overman

Thanks!

Thanks for the nice interview Raymond, nice to know you better. I've seen your work on other sites and admire it very much. You sure pack a lot of skill and talent into your shop. Keep up the good work.

Nope I never did replace the bearings...yet. So far so good.

The only decent source of parts is ebay. In fact when I was looking for tool rests after I got this lathe. Headstocks with"working" bearings were going for 40 bucks or so.

If you call delta, they will tell you the equavilent part number if one exists.

Let me hunt for a link for you...here you go:

One I used( wasnt exactly the same as mine):
    http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/Delta/1947-PM-1532.pdf

General list
    http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/Publica...ID=1141#Lathes
    Last edited by Rob Bourgeois; 03-28-2006 at 5:21 PM.
    What if the light at the end of the tunnel is a train?

Nice to know you a little better Raymond. Is there still a Mayflower Seafood in your area. They used to have a great lunch special.

Ernie

Thank you all for all the comments and questions and having an interest in what I'm doing in my personal life as well as my wood turning. I'm quite proud of what I've accomplished in the last few years in both aspects and I'm pleased that I have a group of peers that I can share my work with. It's an interesting dynamic being able to consult with people that you've never met in person and tap their experience as well as your own. I think through SMC and other online communities we can all grow personally and positively affect the art and craft of woodturning in general.

I look forward to working with each of you in the future and hope to have a chance to meet many of you one day.
    Raymond Overman

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Nyvall
    Nice to know you a little better Raymond. Is there still a Mayflower Seafood in your area. They used to have a great lunch special.

Ernie
    I think they tore down the restaurant but moved it up the street a ways in Rock Hill, SC if we're thinking of the same place. I ate there once for dinner years ago but it was out of the way for lunch.

There's a lot of good seafood places around here. If you're ever in the area, Fishbones in Tega Cay, SC (past home of Jim and Tammy Faye) has some great food.
    Raymond Overman