Thread: Bookcase finished!! Pics

Bookcase finished!! Pics

I finally finished a very special project. Special, because my daughter, who just turned 17, ran up to me a few weeks ago holding the feb03 Fine Woodworking magazine, pointing at the cover and saying "Dad - can you make this for me?" How cool for her to ask me to make a nice piece of furniture for her, so the queen ann lowboy under construction was put on hold.
    It was a frame and panel bookcase by Peter Zuerner constructed of cherry and fir. With only slight changes to the design (a little heavier lip on the top shelf, and maple instead of fir) the project has been completed, and the client appears happy!
    Construction is all mortise and tenon. The shelves are maple with a cherry front edge. Coves on the shelves and top were cut on the table saw, and cleaned up with my largest wooden round plane. Finish was several coats of T&T applied very, very thin and buffed out.

Very rewarding project, but now shes also pointed out a cherry dresser that she really likes....

Thanks for looking,
    Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images

Roger,
    Very good looking bookcase. I really like the contrasting woods. Hope to see more projects in the future.

M & T, man I got to figure them out.

Great piece Roger, but...

you need to post a better picture like the one you showed me over the weekend which shows off the beautiful ray fleck along the front edges of the bookcase. Maybe better lighting is the answer or better yet a closeup. Folks really deserve to see the piece in its full glory.

On another front, tell Katie the new piece will have to wait until the Queen Anne dressing table/lowboy is finished. Just say Kathy wants her share too.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jones
    Roger,
    Very good looking bookcase. I really like the contrasting woods. Hope to see more projects in the future.

M & T, man I got to figure them out.
    Doug..thanks for the nice comments. I love the look of cherry and maple on projects.
    As to M&T...I must not have posted all the practice projects from the past many of which ended up as shop storage or worse.
    Actually, that is a great way to practice new techniques...building tool storage items using traditional joinery.
    Roger

Ray fleck detail pic

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH
    you need to post a better picture like the one you showed me over the weekend which shows off the beautiful ray fleck along the front edges of the bookcase. Maybe better lighting is the answer or better yet a closeup. Folks really deserve to see the piece in its full glory.

On another front, tell Katie the new piece will have to wait until the Queen Anne dressing table/lowboy is finished. Just say Kathy wants her share too.
    OK Dave....I think this was the picture.

And, I think the next project will be the Portsmouth table I'll be building with Al Breed in just about 1 month (stealth gloat) using only neander skills.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Purrrrrrdy nice!

Mike Schwing Guest
    Very nice! I'd like one too, please?

I had no idea how large that piece was from the first two pics, thanks for adding some perspective in the third one - that is one large bookcase!

Very nice.

Cool

The young lady obviously has good taste and just happens to know a skilled craftsman who can pull it off! Real nice! (The only thing my near 17-yr. old (18 actually) asks for is $$$!) Can't wait to see the tall boy!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Great job, Roger. I agree with John...your daughter has excellent taste in furniture and it will serve her well in the future. I really like the design of this piece as well as the contrast. It's sleek and clean, yet exudes traditional qualities that I like in furniture, myself. I'll have to add this one to my list...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice work - I like the contrasting woods very much !! A buddy of mine has been in the design stages of a bookcase for his wife for quite some time & I'm gonna forward these pics to him - might give him the inspiration to get on his horse & out in the shop before she cuts off all his new tool money ...

JS

I agree... How "cool" that she asked for it. You know she will remember the day she got it from her dad forever. That story will be told by the grand kids someday. Perfect job, it can't get any better then this.

Very nice job. Thank you for showing your work. My son has projects for me. I won't show him this, so that he won't compare. I don't want my work to suffer in the comparison.
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

John, you actually *want* to "see the tall boy"? I worked hard at keeping them run off when my daughter was that age. Oh... maybe that wasn't the same "tall boy".

David

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    The young lady obviously has good taste and just happens to know a skilled craftsman who can pull it off! Real nice! (The only thing my near 17-yr. old (18 actually) asks for is $$$!) Can't wait to see the tall boy!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Apple - Central IN
    I agree... How "cool" that she asked for it. You know she will remember the day she got it from her dad forever. That story will be told by the grand kids someday. Perfect job, it can't get any better then this.
    Eric - that is absolutely what made it special - I appreciate the comments, and hadn't thought about the grandkids part, but yeah - that would be pretty cool too! I know the tools that are most special to me are the ones my dad used...never pick one up without being flooded by wonderful memories of him.

Quote Originally Posted by John Snyder
    Nice work - I like the contrasting woods very much !! A buddy of mine has been in the design stages of a bookcase for his wife for quite some time & I'm gonna forward these pics to him - might give him the inspiration to get on his horse & out in the shop before she cuts off all his new tool money ...

JS

John,
    the write-up in FWW was excellent on this...I didn't use the authors methods for cutting coves...dado cuts, followed by router with core bit..etc...set-up some jigs for the coves, and also for the tapered legs. I have to admit too, that tool money is easier to come by when there are some tangible results!