Thread: Craftsman 12" Bandsaw

Craftsman 12" Bandsaw

I just picked it up yesterday and am in the assembly process. Need some muscle to put it on the stand. I placed a straightedge across the table and it's not perfectly flat, i.e. a 0.028 gap at the blade slot. Should I be concerned?

Larry

Larry,
    I have the same saw.

I believe you are talking about the little insert next to the blade. I'f it bothers you you can shim ir with some tape. I haven't bothered and realy like the saw.

No Don, I mean the table seems to sag in the middle. With the straightedge across the front of the table the gap is 0.028 on either side of the blade slot.

Larry I just layed a steel streight edge on mine and using the spot light cheched mine and it apears to be flat in all plains.

hmmm don't know if it a problem.

Larry,

Question is the table assembled on the BS. If not check it after its assembled with the trunion on it and mounted to the saw.

I'm not a machinest, just a hobby woodworker so I don't think I'm going to worry about it.
    Larry

By the way. Theres a mistake in the manual. (or at least there is in mine). It says the saw takes a 90 1/2" blade. It should read 89 1/2" blade. DAHIKT...

Other then that the saw has done everything I've asked it to do and more. I do run it on the slower speed for hardwood especialy when resawing.

Thanks for the heads up on blade length. I just did a quick scan of the manual and saw no reference to length. And no, the table is not mounted yet. However there is also a gap with the straightedge across the back of the table, although not as much, only 0.013"

Great little saw

Larry,
    I also have this saw.
    I bought a quarter inch and an eight inch timberwolf blade for my machine. I really like it's performance. I think you made a good choice and got a lot of bang for the buck. I'm sure your table will be flat once it's assembled and the blade slot screw is tightened.
    Have fun,
    Dave

Dave,
    Ooooh yeah the blade slot screw, I think that's the answer! I too think it will meet my needs and be a real improvement over the Grizzly 9" benchtop it's replacing. What do you think of the blade that came with the saw? I've looked at Timberwolf's site and have been confused by all the choices. What specifically did you choose?

Blades

Larry,
    I haven't used the 1/2 inch blade that came with the table much - so I 'm sorry I can't really tell you too much about the quality of the cut. I'm using this saw mainly for cutting curves. I called Suffolk machinary and relied on their expertise. I got a 1/4 inch 6tpi PC blade and a 1/8 inch14tpi raker blade. I used the 1/4 inch one tonight to cut a curved profile on a curly maple leg. The saw and the blade worked like a champ. Their phone number is 1-800 234 -SAWS. They are great people to deal with.

Dave

Thanks Dave. This forum rocks. I read alot here but seldom post.
    Larry