Thread: Turned Spheres

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Turned Spheres

<P><b><font color="#3333FF"><font size=+2>Hello Everyone</font></font></b>,
    <P>After spending a week away from my shop (vacation), I decided to try something new. I read an article in a recent AWA magazine that showed the steps for turning spheres. It looked pretty do-able. Rick Potter's post about making your own live center accessories really help to inspire me (thanks Rick!).
    <P>I turned a cup center for my Talon, and one for my live out of some scrap mahogany. The rest of the procedure was right out of the magazine. And you know what? I've never tried something that worked out as easily as this! It was like writing a computer program from scratch and having it run perfect the first time. I could rough out a 3" dia. sphere and final turn it in a matter of minutes.
    <P>The spheres pictured below were all turned from scrap pieces of hardwood I had laying around the shop. I used Ash, Sweetgum, Spalted Beech, and Walnut. The Ash and Sweetgum spheres are about 3" in diameter, while the Walnut and Beech are about 2 1/4".
    <P>Using my vacuum chuck while sanding these made that process a piece of cake. All of them were sanded to 600 grit and given a couple of coats of <b>Tried and True's Original Oil Finish</b>. After-which, I buffed them with my <b>Beall Buffing System</b>.
    <P>Thanks for viewing.
    <p><font color="#000099"><b><i>See ya around the Creek,</font></b></i>
    <p><b><font color="#000066"><font size=+1>Dominic</font></font></b>
    Attached Images Attached Images