Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curly Cherry Plate **PICS**

Nice plate, Ken...

Please tell us what kind of finish you used.

I think someone asked already, but I can't find the answer.

Thanks,
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe
    Nice plate, Ken...

Please tell us what kind of finish you used.

I think someone asked already, but I can't find the answer.

Thanks,
    Minwax Antique Oil and Minwax Finishing Wax
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    Thanks Bill. I took an intro to wood turning class @ the local Woodcraft about 5 years ago. The instructor showed up how to use a piece of paper grocery bag and superglue with accelerator. We glued the brown kraft paper between the block of turned wood that was screwed to the faceplate and the wood we were turning. Fast, instant, and a guaranteed weak spot when you were ready to separate the two pieces. Would you sanction this type of "chucking?"

Hi Todd

A glue chuck using CA glue is fine, although I don't know if I would bother with the paper bag. Traditionally, a paper joint in between the work and the waste block was used to make life easier in parting the thing off. I think it is a holdover from the old days when people either had flat bottoms or filled screw holes with putty. Nowadays people finish off the bottom in a variety of ways, many of the decorative. CA glue holds fairly well, but is susceptible to shearing forces, and will break easily from a shock. This is a weak joint if the turner is prone to catches, but holds well if the turner is not. Adding the paper in between just gives you one more thing to fiddle with, and doesn't really offer any benefit.

My favorite way to do plates is to hold the thing with a screw mounted in my scroll chuck, keeping a spacer between the plate and the chuck. I will turn a very short tenon on the bottom, reverse the plate, finish all but the tenon, and then reverse it once more to finish off the bottom. However, if I had to do it without a chuck, I would probably screw the blank to a faceplate (with several very short screws) for doing the bottom, and then either tape it or glue it to a waste block. It would still need to be reversed one more time to clean up the bottom, but that is the difference between a good plate and a great plate.

Bill