Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curly Cherry Plate **PICS**

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Curly Cherry Plate **PICS**

I whipped this plate out yesterday and finished oiling today. It was made from a piece of the curly cherry board I gave Bill Grumbine last week (had to cut off 12" of it so I could get it in the truck). Plate is 11 ½" diameter and 3/16" thick. Light as a feather.

Bill - you better get in gear and make something out of the 7' piece .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Blog Entries

Really nice

That's a nice plate Ken, haven't had time to finish the two plates that were turned from my piece of walnut.

Can't wait to see what Bill does with the cherry board, once it air dries again....all the people at the picnic kept drooling on it. One or two even tried to help Bill clean up his shop by offering to take it home with them. That was about the only time I've ever seen Bill G growl......must have learned how from Bubba.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Absolutely stunning work, Ken. You really did justice to a beautiful piece of wood. Mr. Grumbine has his work cut out for him..... Dave.

Wow!

Ken - That sure is a purty plate you made yourself.

If Bill doesn't do something soon I might have to pay him a visit & help him to clean up his shop

Is the wood already dry - do you have to worry about it warping at all?
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Ken!

That is absolutely beautiful! You did that piece of wood proud!

Scott.

That is Awesome Ken! That has to be one of the prettiest pieces of Cherry I have seen. I have some nicely figured Cherry, but nothing like that. Excellent use of a beautiful piece of wood. Thanks for sharing the pic. Nicely done!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sweeney
    Is the wood already dry - do you have to worry about it warping at all?
    Tom -- -- that board is 7 years old -- -- dryer than a Texas sagebrush !!
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Ken, (or you other skilled turners), a few questions...

If I had a 12" square block, 3/4" thick, how would I start this type of turning? Would I mount a temp wood block to a faceplate, turn it round, then glue my 12" square block to that? After glued, would I then turn the outside of the plate, creating a recess in the middle bottom, into which I could chuck it with an inside chuck. Finally, turn it around and turn the inside?

How about a write up with pics. I have several cut-offs of this size that would look great turned into a plate like that. Great idea! (And, good looking plate too? What did you finish it with?

Also Ken, do you have a stash of those engraved logos? Do you just glue those in? Did you get them from Keith Outten?

Absolutely beautiful, Ken.

I'm anxious to get a lathe and try some turning, but Jane says I can't until I finish up all of the cabinets that we are building for our home.

Maybe someday...........
    JB

Ken, the plate is absolutely beautiful! I've never seen cherry with curl in it like that! Great way to display such an outstanding piece of wood!
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

Wow! That's a great piece, Ken. Great job!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch

If I had a 12" square block, 3/4" thick, how would I start this type of turning? Would I mount a temp wood block to a faceplate, turn it round, then glue my 12" square block to that? After glued, would I then turn the outside of the plate, creating a recess in the middle bottom, into which I could chuck it with an inside chuck. Finally, turn it around and turn the inside?

How about a write up with pics. I have several cut-offs of this size that would look great turned into a plate like that. Great idea! (And, good looking plate too? What did you finish it with?

Also Ken, do you have a stash of those engraved logos? Do you just glue those in? Did you get them from Keith Outten?
    I did it somewhat as you describe - I cut the square to a circle first and also a scrap piece (a circle the size of my faceplate) and glued them together. Then mounted the faceplate to the scrap. Did the rest as you describe.

If you visit my web site you will find the information on the Medallion Logos. A link to the information is on the home page.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    I whipped this plate out yesterday and finished oiling today. It was made from a piece of the curly cherry board I gave Bill Grumbine last week (had to cut off 12" of it so I could get it in the truck). Plate is 11 ½" diameter and 3/16" thick. Light as a feather.

Bill - you better get in gear and make something out of the 7' piece .
    Very nice looking plate there Ken! What color are you going to paint it? Seriously, I am thinking some of that board is going for plates, and some for some small boxes. If I ever get caught up on my regular work, I am going to start in on all the neat wood people brought for me. Thanks again for the board!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch

If I had a 12" square block, 3/4" thick, how would I start this type of turning?
    Hi Todd

There are a bunch of ways to hold a turning like this one. If you are going to use your tailstock, and not take huge bites out of the wood, you can even use double stick tape to hold the wood on the faceplate and save some time that you would wait for glue to dry. In any event, I like to use the tailstock for as long as possible with any turning. Not only do I have some of this fantastic cherry Ken gave me, I have some walnut crotch grain plate blanks waiting to be turned.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I took an intro to wood turning class @ the local Woodcraft about 5 years ago. The instructor showed up how to use a piece of paper grocery bag and superglue with accelerator. We glued the brown kraft paper between the block of turned wood that was screwed to the faceplate and the wood we were turning. Fast, instant, and a guaranteed weak spot when you were ready to separate the two pieces. Would you sanction this type of "chucking?"