Thread: MM 16 DC - How is it?

MM 16 DC - How is it?

I just got my DC system (3 hp Oneida) up and running and have a 5" drop hooked up to my MM 16. I briefly fooled around with some scrap after getting power to the motor, and saw that some dust gets left on the table and floor around the saw - not as much as before, but still some. I haven't done a thing to improve any thing (I haven't even gotten to sealing the metal duct joints yet), but wonder if any other BS users, particularly the MM users, have any advice. THanks,
    David

Band saws, no matter what brand or format, are difficult to collect dust from...only the CMS/SCMS are harder. (Lathes don't count!) You'll have better collection when resawing than you will when cutting flat goods (scrolling) just due to the way the material will block the air flow. But my MM16 has a LOT better collection than my previous 14" Jet saw did, even with the mods I made on the latter. For the MM16, be sure you have the wooden block in place inside of the collection compartment and have the metal guard under the table raised up as high as you can to help direct the air flow from the table insert.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

David,
    Like Jim said....collection on a bandsaw will never be perfect, just too many places for air flow to be stolen from. You will always get some amount of dust on your table as you are cutting. The one thing I will most likely do to modify the DC collection on my MM24 is to extend some type of DC chamber up to the underside of the table but, it needs to be removable in order to allow: blade access, guide access and table tilting needs. I will let you know if/when I come up with something. Even If I do not do anything I do think the collection I have (from a 5.5hp 3ph DC w/ a 18" impeller) will provide "enough" suction, I would venture a guess that so will yours

Thanks

I know the wooden block is in place, but who knows where the guard is. I knew the "smart guys" here would set me on the right road. The DC system is doing a good enough job that it made me realize I never thought of the drill press. I made a mess with my DP after trying everything else out and realized that I'll need to think that one out. I don't think I have the overhead room for an individual drop to the DP, so I'll do something different. Thanks,
    David

David, the guard is a piece of sheet metal that has a wing-nut to hold it in place. It can move up and down to make guide adjustment easy as well as accommodate the need to tilt the table. I know it was sometimes overlooked on some machines...if you look on the door side of the machine on the front column, you'll likely find a tapped hole if your guard is missing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...