Thread: Mailorder Teak - any experience?

Mailorder Teak - any experience?

I need a bit 4/4" teak to band 3/4" teak plywood for a bathroom vanity project. Since I dont need anything longer than 36" I thought I might try a mail order source, anybody here have experience with one?

My local store is insane expensive and another dealer I visited only has 1 piece of 4/4 teak at 9' long, 6" wide and $163. My math says thats $36.22 a board foot.

I have bought some exotics on ebay. Generally, they have a picture of the exact piece. So far, so good for me.

Hardly anybody carries teak because it's so expensive. I had to mail order it myself for benches in a rowboat I built. I seem to recall I paid $20-$22 a board foot. Wonderful wood to work with. Too bad it's so expensive..

Edensaw in Port Townsend WA has teak "shorts" and you can call them (edensaw.com) to find out what length that is.

You could also rip a piece of your plywood wide enough (4/4) then rip the veneer off and use it for your edge banding. Careful hand work, maybe scraping might get you what you want. You can get an almost invisible seam this way.

Yup, about $35 a bd. ft. or more is what it's going for retail these days. If you have a wholesale account somewhere you can likely get it cheaper, but retail is steep.

good luck,
    JeffD

I have a friend with a sailboat who happens to have a 3.5"x3.5"x46" piece to give me. I may need more but will be real creative in its use.

I appreciate the sources offered.