Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool Rests.....

1. Tool Rests.....

I have just the one long 12" tool rest for my lathe, I can buy a shorter one, 6", but I want to have some curved ones for bowls etc...

Now the problem, the hole in the banjo is 22mm, and I've not been able to find any solid stock that is 22mm. I can find 25m and 19mm but not 22.

I did find that the thick walled galvanized gas pipe is just a hair under 22mm, seems to be close enough.

What I'm thinking of doing is using this pipe, and welding whatever tool rest I want to it, cut a notch in the pipe, and stick the horizontal piece in there and go at it.

Is this a BAD thing to do...?

Will the pipe fail...?

Cheers!

I don't do mm......but.. Would the 19mm fit inside your 22mm water pipe? I can't see the pipe failing in that short a piece. But they may make them solid for a reason. Welding galv requires GOOD ventilation. Would the cost of a machine shop making a 3-4 foot piece of 22 out of the 25 be too much? That would give you a bunch of post material. Sorry to be no help.....long curlies.....doug

try it..02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Stu, I'd grind the zinc off that pipe a ways down before welding (you don't want to breath that stuff) and with good fit and penitration all around it should be plenty strong.
    When in doubt, ask a Creeker.

Stu, please don't, I repeat please don't weld Galvinized pipe. Here's a link to the death of Jim Paw Paw Wilson from metal poisoning.
    http://anvilfire.com/iForge/tutor/safety3/
    Paw Paw was pretty famous in the black smith community.
    I have been a welder for many years, and have know others who have died from metal poisoning. You can probably get away with welding galvinize most of the time, but why chance it? It's not worth the risk.

6. Doug, the problem is finding a machine shop, I'm not kidding...

If I could, I would go that route, as it would be the best thing.

Tod, I think I will

John, I learned that one way, way back in highschool.... cough, cough...wheeze....

Thanks Guys!

7. Jim, thanks for the concern, I'm VERY aware of the dangers, and I grind the galvanized stuff off BIG time.

Cheers!

I also use a respirator when welding, not that it will keep everything bad out, just that it keeps the dirt out!

Stu-

How about another approach? Can you drill the banjo out to 25mm? Seems a whole lot easier and less risky.

Is there maybe a metal shop that can turn down some 25 mm bar to 22 mm for ya? I used to work at a place that had a metal lathe. There was a guy that would use it in his off hours to make parts for his boat.

Regards,
    Tim B.

10. I thought of that, but a 25mm drill bit is EXPENSIVE and a special order.....

It may just be the way I go in the end.

Cheers!

Just buy a metal lathe!

I hear it is even more adictive. he he he

Just tryingto help.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Grind the Galvanize off & go for it . I made this rest when I was about 14 to turn bowels on my Dad's Craftsman lathe. Dad had both the 3" & the 12" tool rest but I wanted a rest the would let me reach into deep bowels. I was very careful to make only light cuts & it seemed to work very well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    Jim, thanks for the concern, I'm VERY aware of the dangers, and I grind the galvanized stuff off BIG time.

Cheers!

I also use a respirator when welding, not that it will keep everything bad out, just that it keeps the dirt out!
    If your welding pipe, you can't grind off the inside. There's still Zinc that's in the pores of the metal.
    I hate to be obsessive about this but you're a young man with a family. The risks are not worth taking chances with. Back when I was young and "Dumb" I used to do a lot of things. I thought I was safe grinding zinc off of material. I observed that my welds were not of good quality. I now know that the poor welds were caused by "Zinc inclusion".
    Here's some more information:

<CENTER>WELDING ON GALVANIZED METALS</CENTER>
    One of the most significant health hazards in the welding process is the generation of fumes and gasses. Do you weld on galvanized metals? Zinc is the coating used on galvanized metals, and when you heat the metal, it produces vaporized metal droplets which are called fumes. This is the smoky haze which consists of fine particles of metals or silicates. When you breathe these fumes, they may work deeply into your lungs.

The typical effect of breathing zinc fumes is metal fume fever. One or two hours or more after welding-without proper personal protection-you may experience severe thirst, pain in the legs, shivering, congestion in the head, dryness and tickling of the throat, and a cough. In very bad cases, you may feel severe shivering, a high fever, buzzing in the ears, nausea, vomiting, and even hallucinations and convulsions. Your symptoms will usually last 24 hours.

Some of you may weld for a period of time and find some of the symptoms appeared, then went away. You may actually have built up an immunity that hides the full effects. If you take a break from welding over the weekend or over a holiday, the symptoms will often come back again the next time you weld on galvanized metal. Because of this behavior, metal fume fever is sometimes known as "Monday morning sickness."

Protect yourself, if you weld on galvanized metals, by following these precautions:
    • In all operations where metal fumes are present, you should work in a well ventilated area. The best way to protect yourself against metal fumes is to use local exhaust ventilation at the source of the smoke. Do not re-circulate the air in the shop.
    • If good local ventilation is not possible you should wear an approved respirator, which will fit underneath your welding helmet, to protect yourself from fumes. This respirator collects the fume particles and keeps them from entering your lungs. (A paper dust mask is not adequate).
    • If you find white dust inside your welding shield, you are not properly protecting yourself from the fumes.
    • After you have finished welding, wash your hands and face thoroughly with soap and water.
    • Do not eat, drink, or smoke in areas contaminated by welding fumes.
    • If you think you are experiencing symptoms of metal fume fever, report it to your supervisor. Physicians familiar with this illness say that the best treatment is to drink plenty of water and go to bed and rest.
    Finally, did you know that you can "contaminate" your family by bringing home zinc particles on your clothing? Protect both yourself and your family-weld safely.

[QUOTE=Jim Davenport]If your welding pipe, you can't grind off the inside. There's still Zinc that's in the pores of the metal.

I do agree with you however Stu only has to be able to weld 1 pipe nipple on one end & yes he could use a de-burring bit & clean the galvanize off the inside & if he wears a activated charcoal mask the minor amount of galvanize that is in the metal pores shouldn't be a problem. Or he could use black pipe.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 03-15-2006 at 11:57 AM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Black iron pipe would be the way to go.