Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SketchUp Tutorial Question

SketchUp Tutorial Question

I've been thinking about doing a tutorial for SketchUp users showing how to do paneled doors. My thought is to show how you could draw a single door and then copy and resize to make it fit all the other openings as needed. Should I make the tutorial showing the rail and stile joinery or not? The resizing method changes depending on the answer to that question.

Also it is a simple matter to create a profile of the inside edge of the door frame and draw the entire frame in just a couple of steps. Adding the panel is just as quick and, depending on the level of detail needed, the entire door, panel, rails and stiles can be drawn at once.

Does anyone have any suggestions. Would anyone even be interested in seeing the tutorial once it is completed?

Thanks.

I would be interested and showing the joinery would add to the value of the tutorial for me.
    All your other tutorials are a great help to get started with the functions of sketchup.
    Thank You very much!
    Timo

It would be useful to show the joinery; but, of course, I'd much prefer full M&T joints, none of this cope & stick stuff.

Pam

Ok. Maybe I should make this three tutorials: No joinery, M&T, and cope and stick. But if you two are the only ones interested I'll just e-mail you with them when I'm finished. Or you could come to my place and I'll show you in person.

Where is your place? BTW, I know how to make M&T and Cope & Stick, but enjoy your SU tutorials; and it would be fun to know how you make SU handle this level of drawing.

Pam

Pam, Just get on I35 and drive north. Take a right on US HWY 14.

I sent to you and Timo three tutorials on the door resizing showing how you would deal with it depending upon the joinery used. Let me know what you think.

Dave, I'm interested in seeing your tutorials. I'm always looking for smarter ways to work in SketchUp.
    ___
    Rick

Tutorials?

I first heard about sketch-up here. I have gone to the website and watched the tutorials they have. I also looked at the pricing . I am interested in any tutorials you may have that revolve around WW and designing projects. I would like to feel more comfortable with it before I go and buy it. I have not downloaded the free trial because of its time limit. Would like to know as much as possible before even doing that.

Dwayne

Rick and Dwayne, send me your e-mail addresses via a PM and I'll e-mail the SKP files.

Dwayne, you can download the free SU viewer from the website and then you'll be able to look at my tutorials. The 8 hour trial is 8 hours of working time, not clock time. Go ahead and download the trial and give it a go. Don't use it for looking at my tutorials though. You'll just use up your 8 hours.

Rick and Dwayne, check your e-mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards
    Pam, Just get on I35 and drive north. Take a right on US HWY 14.

I sent to you and Timo three tutorials on the door resizing showing how you would deal with it depending upon the joinery used. Let me know what you think.
    Thanks, Dave, I'm going over the tutorials now, will get back to you. And how stupid of me, our stated cities are in every message, never even noticed before.

Pam

Pam, that's alright. It's easy to miss.

Let me know if the tutorials make any sense.

D

13. Hi Dave

I am a new user of Sketchup and would really appreciate a copy of your tutorial on panelled doors. my email is jon[AT]scruffyduck.co.uk

thank you
    Jon Masterson

Tutorials:

Dave; Send me a copy of the tutorials as well, You should have my e-mail address from this afternoons correspondance.
    Again:
    Thanks
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

Jon and Don, in the time since I originally started this thread I have found a web home for those tutorials as well as a few others. There are also some great tutorials by some other SU users there.

Go to this page: http://www.sketchucation.com/ and scroll down. The door tutorials are under the heading "New Woodwork Tutorials Added by Dave R." There also a few others under another heading also bearing my name a few more entries below that.

I hope that helps.