Thread: 4" belt sanders

4" belt sanders

I want a 4" belt sander and was wondering what the thoughts are on variable speed for these monsters. I just can not see why I would need it, but enlighten me if I am overlooking something obvious please :-)
    Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods

Lakewood, Ohio. Western burb of Cleveland.
    Mike.

I have the Porter Cable 4" VS belt sander. FWIW, I like having variable speeds. I've used it for a lot of different things from hardwood floor touchups, porch floor repairs, to flattening boards.

Sometimes it makes sense to slow it way down. If I'm sanding paint off the porch floor with a low grit paper, slowing it down seems to cut/sand more aggressivelyy. Also cuts down on dust and noise. I guess it's one of those 'nice to have feature' once in a while.

Oh yeah, it also seems to provide you more control over what you are doing.

I also seem to recall reading someplace that for aggressive sanding, slow the machine down. Seems to work I guess.

Joe

Hi Mike

So you want a big belt sander. What do you intend to use it for?

Belt sander racing ?

Grinding away a door so it will open and close?

Flattening glue-up panels?

A stationary belt sander?

There are a lot of things a belt sander can be used for. Some belt sanders are better at some things than others.

Variable speed is nice as the coarser grits will work faster at slower speeds especially on softer woods like pine.

Good dust collection is nice especially if you are working with medium and fine grits. Good dust collection will also prolong the life of the belt.

The size of the platen. All 4"x24" belt sanders will have a 4"+ wide platen but the length of the flat part can vary between models and manufactures. It is the size of the platen that translates to how much of the belt is flat against the wood.

Weight is important if you will be working over your head and just the opposite if you are working on a bench (the weight of the sander not your body weight providing the downward force).

Noise is a concern when working in public spaces or when using the unit intermittently (for prolonged use you should be wearing dust and hearing protection)

Some belt sanders can accept a sanding frame which will prevent dig-ins when flattening a panel. You can also stand the 4x24 Bosch belt sander on end in the sanding frame as a stationary vertical belt sander.

Some belt sanders can accept a stand which makes for a horizontal belt sander with a fence.

Some belt sanders have the motor inline which presents a little torque. Some have the motor across the sander putting the torque in line with the moving belt.

There is a lot to consider in a belt sander. VS is just one thing that may or may not be of use for you.

Thanks
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

Main uses of belt sander will be...

removal of high spots and heavy rough areas from large table top slabs.
    We do not have a planer wide enough to fit some of these slabs (48" and wider) through or a wide belt either.
    I really don't intend to be doing much if any finish work with this big horse at all. The Porter Cable 4X24 is the one that I was most interested in at this time.
    Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods

To bad I had hope you were looking to get on the belt sander raceing circuit
    The Large print givith

Mike,

Have you considered a portable hand held power planer? This is very quick stock removal with chips instead of dust. For removing a lot of material, it is much faster than a belt sander, with equivalent control (just like a belt sander). Then, finish up with a sander.

We've got a pair of the 4x24 Boschs, for exactly the same purpose as you intend...except we're sanding off epoxy 'high spots'. I find the Bosch very comfortable to use and easy to keep flat. The dust bags leave a lot to be desired, but that may be because epoxy dust just doesn't suck up like sawdust. We're on the second bag for both sanders because the thingy in the bag that slides on to the sander body gave up. The second bags are about ready to be replaced for the same reason. I used the VS at the beginning when I felt like I needed more control...seemed like slowing it down gave me that. Haven't touched the VS control in as long as I can remember, though.

For lighter duty work, I'm very impressed with the DeWalt 3x21. I use that for 'final' sanding when I have to put a belt on a tabletop that's already been through the big wide sander (and won't be going to the big sander again). It's kinda noisily irratating in an underpowered sort of way, but it's extremely easy to control.

Whatever you get, put a quality belt on it. For hard use and heavy material removal, I don't think you can beat the Klingspor planer belts.

KC

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Allen
    To bad I had hope you were looking to get on the belt sander raceing circuit
    I have an old PC type 3A that my dad had. Hasn't been used in forty years probably. It weighs a ton, looks like a locomotive. Worth anything for racing? Steve

Thats the great thing about belt sander raceing. It is all about belt speed, weight and torque (both the torque to the belt and the torque on the sander). There are also classes of sanders for everyone. You can even soup-up a sander for higher belt speeds.
    The Large print givith

Smile I bought a PC 4x24 single speed belt sander

Well I have not actually got it in hand yet, but it is on its way. I think this is a small gloat too as I only paid $136.50 for the sander (refurbished unit). I just could not justify the difference between brand new ($228.00) vs the refurb at $136.50. I have purchased almost all of my power hand tools from refurb dealers and (knock on wood) have never had any issues.
    Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods