Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much turning time?

Before the accident yesterday, I have only been working on a cradle. I was only getting about four hours a week to work on it. This project was a shelf unit for the baby's room. Nothing spactacular. Just made from Melamine panels (They wanted white and to have adjustable shelves). It seemed the fastest and easiest way to give them what they wanted. I'm continuing with it, a little at a time, being VERY careful, considering what I did to my thumb.

Bruce

I will typically spend 20 to 25 hours a week in the shop. Not all the time is turning, some time is spent just thinking about my next piece or just setting in the peace and quiet and thinking about nuttin.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Not as much as I would like to. I get around 2-3 hours a few days a week and sometimes I over do it and will spend 5-6 hours and pay for it later.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Hard for me to find time to practice. Besides work and travelling, I am still remodelling the home and about ready to tackle the kitchen. I split time between the flatwork and turning.

Corey

Andy...
    Are you sure they didn't use you for medical research during your navy time? Nuclear test dummy? Something seems to have affected your thinking process. We all know vac chucks can't speak...english.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Dummy - yes! Nukeyoular - nope.

Yeah, I translated it for you because I didn't thiink that too many of you guys spoke Pronese. What it really said was, "Zchlatsvua, cogvipotchioveua sis praesus commodeum."
    Only the Blue Roads

Have all the time I want, some "Hartwood", my wife's blessings and a broke lathe. But... the broke part won't last and the rest will. I feel REALLY guilty. Really....

I've been kept away from the lathe a lot lately. I drive (on call) for a new car dealer and this past week drove from Mississippi, Pennsylvainia, South Carolina picking up vehicles and driving back to Georgia. I do enjoy doing it, tho. I really don't know how I found time to work 40 hours or more a week before I retired.
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    I wasn't born in the mountains, but I got here as fast as I could!

The past couple of months my work has kept me away from te house 14-16 hrs, so I'll come home, go in the shop, and just look around for a minute. I have a little time on the weekends... maybe 8 hrs. However, the truck I drive just broke down and will be out for a week. Hmmm... wonder what I'll do with my time.

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Nyvall
    ....Hmmm... wonder what I'll do with my time.
    Yep....I wonder.....Perhaps fate has lent a hand?
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Good question Jim. Most weeks at this time of year I manage about 12 hours in my workshop with only a 1/3 or less usually devoted to the lathe. In medical research the beginning and end of the year is always the most hectic. In the late spring and summer I may double or triple that amount. I also make all the gifts I give to extended family and friends for xmas, BDs, etc so, I usually put on a full push starting in July and can sometimes hit 30 hours a week.

You guys are making me fell so much better . I think this thread was written just for me.

The new job has me away most of the time. Zero time on the lathe in the past two weeks. I feel like I'm going through withdrawls or something. I used to get on the lathe everyday and now, nothing. I rarely find time to get onto the internet to come here! When I do have a spare minute, it's spent with LOML.

Eventually, my free time will get better, I hope.

George

I spend about 4 hours a day in the shop--approx. 25 hours a week, or more. Been in sort of lathe doldrums lately so have only been doing a few hours a week on the lathe. Can't seem to find the inspiration to new and different things and get bored doing the same thing. Been doing a lot of fret work and making shop jigs.
    Earl

Shop Time

Over the last 2 months, we've been snowbirding in Florida so that would count as no shop time. But now that I'm back, it'll be about 4 to 6 hours per day. Since much of that time is making segmented glue-ups, the actual lathe time is much less.

In addition, our local club is starting up some "Sawdust Sessions" so I hope to do some weekend demos which should be fun and less solitary.

The best part though is that we found a place in Florida where we can take our RV and it has a woodshop with 8 lathes. I've signed up for three months next winter and plan to turn and demo from January to March! I hope to spend some time in their stained glass studio too!

Dennis

Well, this past weekend I didn't even touch MY lathe. Our club had a booth at Home and Garden show and I worked all three days about 4-5 hours each. Made BIG bunch of tops that we were taking donations for the Toys for Tots program. And I didn'tmiss my lathe one bit.