Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dial Indicators

Mark, you can get good deals on Fowler, SPI, the chinese imports, and Mitotouyo and Starrett from MSC Industrial Supply. They send me out sale flyers monthly and there are always good deals on inspection equipment. The sales come often enough that I only buy stuff when it's on sale. www.mscdirect.com
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer
    We need to remember we are working with wood and that the humidity change from one day to the next can cause changes of .010" or more. Having a saw aligned to less than .001 is admirable but hardly necessary to do good work and only serves as bragging material.
    You're implying that since wood moves we can be careless in aligning our tools: WRONG !!!!! Your tools are your reference, and whatever you make will only be as good as your reference. It doesn't take much slop in aligning your table saw fence to make it dangerous (toe it in .10" and see what happens) and it doesn't take much work to get it aligned correctly. Your machine alignment tools should be one grade better than the accuracy in alignment you're trying to achieve, and your machines should be one grade better than the projects you plan on producing. So, a decent straight edge, B grade surface plate, machiniest square, dial indicators, etc. all have their place in the shop. I can sure tell that my panels assemble and glue up a lot easier when I can get a 5 sided cut on my sliding table saw good to .005" or better over 8'.

Thanks for all the input.

Bruce, I would have no idea how to use such a thing! Have never even heard of a Surface Gauge before.

Remember, I have NO mechanical background of ANY kind. The TS Aligner system appeals to me since it comes with an instructional DVD. I've never even used a dial indicator before!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stutz
    Thanks for all the input.

Bruce, I would have no idea how to use such a thing! Have never even heard of a Surface Gauge before.

Remember, I have NO mechanical background of ANY kind. The TS Aligner system appeals to me since it comes with an instructional DVD. I've never even used a dial indicator before!
    Mark, I'll try to take some pics tonight or tomorrow and give a demo on aligning the TS fence with a surface gauge.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Mark, the TS Aligner is a versatile tool for many of the stationary machines in the Woodworking Shop. It works great for the TS, but it has many other uses, as the video will show. There are many ways to skin a cat, but this tool makes things easier, faster and accurate. I don't mind spending time tweaking my tools to get the best possible performance from them, but I would rather be using them than adjusting them. Nothing beats the safety and performance of a well tuned machine. I think you will enjoy the results, and it is pretty easy with this tool. A good investment in my opinion!

Dial Indicators U.S. vs Chinese models

Having just received a sliding table saw, I needed to make critical alignments in the X,Y,Z axis. I had my dad's old 1940s vintage Starret dial indicator. But I didn't trust it. I bought a magnetic base from Lee Valley and a $14 digital dial indicator at the Harbor Freight store. Chinese, of course.

The manuals that came with the saw and sliding table instructed me to make static and moving measurements at about 9 places.

I set up the machinery using the Chinese indicator. For the hell of it, after everything was calibrated and bolted up tightly, I used the old Starret. All measurements matched. I actually preferred the mechanical Starret because it was much more "responsive" as I moved the sliding table under it.

And there was a cheap quality to the buttons on the digital indicator. Hitting the ZERO button once wouldn't work. I had to repeat it a few times, which of course throws off the mounting on the indicator and changes the distance between it and the surface being measured. I had the feeling the whole device was about to go 'belly up' any minute.

Gary Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stutz
    Mark not to steal Bruce's thunder, but you see those pins sticking out of the top of the base. They can be pushed out the bottom and used to make a parallel run along the blade using the mitre slot. You can also use the slight slim pointy thing to scribe lines at a particular height or along the length of a board. At $15 it a bargain. Just keep it oiled.

Jim
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn
    Mark not to steal Bruce's thunder, but you see those pins sticking out of the top of the base. They can be pushed out the bottom and used to make a parallel run along the blade using the mitre slot. You can also use the slight slim pointy thing to scribe lines at a particular height or along the length of a board. At $15 it a bargain. Just keep it oiled.

Jim
    Jim, CRAAACCCCKK BOOOM! (Thunder...)
    That's exactly what I'll show in the pictures.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Mark, I don't believe there is any measurement in a wood shop that requires anything better than a HF dial indicator. It's great to have names like Starrett scattered around the shop but why not spend the cost difference on a router bit or saw blade, that's where you really need quality.

$10 Alignment Tool

Here are some photos of one of the tools that I use in the shop for alignment of my table saw and other things. The dial indicator came form MSC and the part number (on sale) is "GP76450071". Cost is $8.99. I have several of these and while I would not use them to tool up for rocket engines, they are fine for tool alignment in the woodworking shop.

This is the back side. The 1/4" by 1" carriage bolt is recessed into the sliding piece. The row of holes is 3/4" on center.

Here is another one in a different mount that I use to dial in the depth for my router bits when I am using my Akeda dovetail jig. This one is zeroed at 9/16", so I just read the depth that I need for my dovetail bit.

CPeter

Dial Calipers

Mark,
    I have two 6" Starretts and four Grizzly 4" dial calipers. I hate to say it but I have to watch the Starretts closer than the Grizzly units. The Starretts have a tendency to "jump" a tooth once in a while and don't zero out.

The Grizzly (or comparable) units were about $10. That is not much more than a decent regular caliper and a LOT more accurate. I even use them on a spinning lathe to "size" diameters. If I "whack" one, it is not a big loss. By the way, I have yet to "whack" one!

It may be true that you get what you pay for but you shouldn't pay for more than you need. As has been mentioned above, measuring wood to .001" is a temporary "mirage". Take the wood outside and let it sit for a few hours. HMMM!? The change in dimension is NOT a defect in your dial vernier caliper!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

HF has the dial indicator for $6.99 and mag base for $7.99 through Mar. 27.

13. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha......................

You guys really DON'T want to know what I paid for my dial guage ......... (yes too much) but it was the only one I could find for sale, ANYWHERE and I had to order it in special.

It is a Peacock brand, and it is top notch, but WAY too expensive.

Cheers!

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    Jim, CRAAACCCCKK BOOOM! (Thunder...)
    That's exactly what I'll show in the pictures.
    thanks for the support bruce! i knew i could get some of you guys stirred its really simple and that is what makes it work so well
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

I'm with Bruce (above) and prefer my good 'ol Starrett surface gauge for alignment. It has pins that can be pushed down and hooked in the t-slot of the saw for blade and fence alignment.

Kyle