Thread: French polish

French polish

I heard John mention that he has tried french polish. I, too, have tried it and i think it would be an excellent finish if done correctly. I have a couple pieces that came out really nice and I have a few more pieces that have lines around them that i can't get rid of without sanding the entire piece down. What is your technique for using french polish John?

Hey Rich,
    I just followed the steps by a guy finishing guitars on the DIY Channel the other night. He sealed the wood with cut shellac, then put a few coats of varnish down (although, he said that lacquer works just as well). He sanded with high grit paper, up to 1000, then did the French polish technique...Which was laying down a coat of shellac and, with a cloth soaked in BLO around his fingers, he dipped it in alcohol and did figure-8's very lightly over the whole piece....dipping frequently in the DNA and basically smoothing the shellac. It turned out very nice.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Hi Rich,

I have been using the French Polish made by Bullseye and it works great. I get everything smooth and perfect by using EEE polish/wax as my final step or using the Beal.

If it's worth anything, a French Polish I learned back in school when I was about 16 and works quite well.

Take about the size of a baby food jar, for the better part of not knowing the oz., and blend in one tbs. of melted JPW, with shellac. Apply the same on the work while spinning, with 0000 steal wool, in a constant lateral movement. One may apply several coats. When dry, buff with a fine cotton cloth, with the lathe spinning.

This is the old fashioned French Polish and presents a very nice finish.

Worth a try, Quite messy ,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>