Thread: Best type of BS for resawing

Best type of BS for resawing

Hello all, I am new to SMC, was suggested by Stu Ablett to join and check it out. And what a wonderfull sight and resource!

I am looking for a bandsaw to use in resawing for veneers and thickness, both hard and soft woods. What should I look for in a bandsaw, blade width, cutting height, horsepower?

What is a good saw for about $400 or less(this may be the hardest question)?

I dont want to go the way of HF, I would like to try and get a nice vintage, larger size saw. I was recently outbid on an 18" Jet

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Ive seen this subject in other threads but I figured I'd post mine any way if only to say hello to everyone.

bandsaw

I have the griz 0555 with the riser kit, I admit I haven't put the riser kit on yet but I have resawn 6" white oak in 1/8 " sheets, I got a 1/2 in timberwolf blade from wc, I cut the oak like butter, I'm sure it would not have trouble on larger stock, the 0555 comes with a 1 hp motor, I paid 395 for mine last dec, everyonce in a while griz will have a sale,

Julio,
    well for the price range you are looking at and for what you stated you will need it for, your choices would be more in the used old cast iron market. If you can some how wait a bit or squeeze out more $$, in the 2k range you could get a top notch Italian 16" saw to do everything for you. In staying close to your current range look over at IRS auction sights and Woodweb for used machines but you may want to find someone you can trust to take a look at these machines for you unless you know what you are looking for

Julio:

If $400 is the limit you have a couple of options, neither of them are ideal:

One is to buy a used 14" Delta/Jet/Rigid/Grizzly. You can buy one with a riser installed for $200 to $300 and use the other money for new guides and a good blade or blades. Then plan on spending a day with a good book on how to tune the bandsaw. If you find a decent 14" bandsaw and spend some time tuning it, you will have a good bandsaw that will resaw up to 12" and still do all your general purpose cutting.

The other option is to keep an eye out for some "old iron", 18" or larger probably an American made saw. The problem with these is that many of them require a lot work to bring back up to performance. If you go this route everything will be cast iron and well balanced, but you might have to put new tires on, a single phase motor, or new guides and bearings that are difficult to find. However, if you are handy with tools and enjoy to "thrill of the hunt", this may be the most rewarding way to go.

A third way, and I know this does not meet your budget requirement, is to buy a 3-4 year old Laguna or MiniMax. You can buy on those for 50-60% of new price. That still puts you at $1000 or more but for that you will normally get 2-3 horsepower, a carbide resaw blade, and if you are careful and lucky, a machine that will last you the rest of your life. I was lucky and bought a 3 year old Laguna 16HD for $1200. It came with a 3 horsepower motor, a resaw fence the previous owner had made, and 1" carbide resaw blade, works perfectly!

Good luck, the value equation you are struggling with is what we all go through when faced with this decision. Whatever you choose will probably work for you.

john lawson

Unfortunately, none of the saws under $400 are really suited for resawing as their primary task. I would look around for a used saw. When it comes to resawing, the more HP the better. Also, choosing the right blade is very very important as well as setting it up.

I bought a Grizzly G0555 for $567 including shipping. I was in the same boat as you and only wanted to spend around $400 to $450 but just couldn't find anything. It is well worth the extra bucks. I use a woodslicer blade on mine and cut 10 inch oak to about 1/8". I also put a Timberwolf blade 1/2" 3 tpi to cut lumber out of logs and bowl blanks for turning. Just my $1.298.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks all. I think I woill hold out for a few more months and adjust to a 500 to 700 budget for that BS