Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Visit to Carvewright (long w/pics)

Raster and stuff

If you go to their Web site and check FAQ you will find most of the answers.
    The machine cuts both raster and vector.
    In May they expect to release a Surface scanner to go with the machine. It all looks good to me!!
    Poor Antonio Stradivari, he never had a Shaper

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Swenson
    We are patiently waiting for our new toy.
    I'm patiently waiting for someone to call me back (or return my email.) I contacted them late Friday, so I'm guessing it'll be Monday before I hear back.

I sent my dad to the web site -- he wants one, too. Depending on shipping charges, I might just drive to Houston to pick them up.

That'll make a fine a picture: my dad, me, my daughter, and my graddaughter -- four generations all making chips in the shop using a computer. Who'd have ever thought that?

John

It would seem that the Turners don't own the only "Slippery Slope".

John,

This is priceless, you wrote,

"That'll make a fine a picture: my dad, me, my daughter, and my graddaughter -- four generations all making chips in the shop using a computer. Who'd have ever thought that?"

Only because a little over two years ago I was a confirmed

luddite, computer illiterate, and scorned the notion

of this tool in my everday life.

Ha! Showed me, didn't they.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Per Swenson
    Only because a little over two years ago I was a confirmed

luddite, computer illiterate, and scorned the notion

of this tool in my everday life.

Ha! Showed me, didn't they.

Per
    I've only "known" you for less than a year, Per, but it's been fun reading your reactions and observations as you walk boldly into the 21st century. Sawstop, Incra, Carvewright, etc. Your "luddite" opinions of these things have carried a lot of weight with me and helped me in some of my own purchases.

- Vaughn

I have had my CarveWright 4 days now it’s awesome. Have already got 2 paying jobs, well worth the investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Matty McQuilkin
    I have had my CarveWright 4 days now it’s awesome. Have already got 2 paying jobs, well worth the investment.
    Ah, more fuel for the fire.

Anything about the CarveWright rubs you the wrong way? The software seems awfully easy to use. I fired it up and created things without reading the help manual. (I like to live on the edge. Ha.)

John

nothing yet I'm still trying to figer out pricing.

I'm Charging

Design time @ $65.00 per hour.

Carving charge $0.74 per sqr inch for Standard Carved text for the first
    8 characters. $12.00 for each additional character.

Visit to Carvewright (long w/pics)

[quote=Dan Racette]Well my point was, that you don't need vector to have high quality.
    quote]
    I had to pipe in on this one. I use a couple of knife/pen plotters for cutting vinyl for signs (as well as the laser) and sell large format digital printing which I sub out. Any time you want high resolution vector is better for highest quality. A vector file can be sized larger or smaller with no difference in quality. To print say 36"x120" output in decent quality you'd need at least a 300 dpi rastor file which would be as much as 20+MB and still have pixelation. With a vector file, color filled, you'd have a much smaller file size and better quality in the end. When it's ripped it's rastorized but the better the input the better the output.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I'm curious. Do you have to sand on these carved pieces to make them smooth for some sort of varnish or sealing? If so, what do you recommend? I am really thinking I'll order one of these just to try making small signs with. Can you do Corian too? How about sandstone?
    Shari

Shari Loveless ~~ I'm curious. Do you have to sand on these carved pieces to make them smooth for some sort of varnish or sealing? If so, what do you recommend? I am really thinking I'll order one of these just to try making small signs with. Can you do Corian too? How about sandstone?
    Shari

Shari, I sent Chris some solid surface (Corian, Avonite et al) over a week ago, along with some cherry and wild grained oak. I will post some pics when they get returned to me. I have to see the results before I "pull the trigger" and order one. Sandstone carving????---sounds like a bit eater to me??!! Bruce

Shari, when I was at the office the piece we cut was in pine, which is not the best medium as you may know. We used a small brass brush to "sand" the finished figure. For sign making you would not need to do much sanding IMHO, unless you were adding some type of logo. One thing I saw was a sign that had been cut, then painted, followed by surface sanding that left a nice color fill to the sign.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.