Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Watching Woodworks TV with David Marks

Watching Woodworks TV with David Marks

Does anybody know of a source where I can purchase this show on DVD or tape? A websearch and visit to DIY channel website yielded nothing. I've never seen this show. My current cable package does not include the DIY TV channel unless I upgrade to premium cable package This is quite a hike in price, and was wondering if I could just purchase a volume set instead.

Also, does anybody have any thoughts on this show? I like watching the New Yankee Workshop, but the content of the Woodworks show seems as interesting, if not more creative. It certainly fills the gap between goofin' around in my shop and foolin' around on this forum. Besides, watching this show will free up my hands so I can stuff my face with potato chips whilst I drape my lazy body across a soft and comfy couch!

cheers, Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel
    Does anybody know of a source where I can purchase this show on DVD or tape? A websearch and visit to DIY channel website yielded nothing. I've never seen this show. My current cable package does not include the DIY TV channel unless I upgrade to premium cable package This is quite a hike in price, and was wondering if I could just purchase a volume set instead.

Also, does anybody have any thoughts on this show? I like watching the New Yankee Workshop, but the content of the Woodworks show seems as interesting, if not more creative. It certainly fills the gap between goofin' around in my shop and foolin' around on this forum. Besides, watching this show will free up my hands so I can stuff my face with potato chips whilst I drape my lazy body across a soft and comfy couch!

cheers, Jeff
    Here is a Link to his DIY TV Shows from His Web Site. And here is the Link to the DIY Wood Works page. As far as videos of his shows, I can't find any info on them.

I love watching his show on the DIY Network. He has some serious skills. I also enjoy watching the NYW on the PBS Channel.

Have a great day!
    John
    Woodworking:
    "It's not just a hobby, it's an adventure."

You can go to his web site and some of the shows are available.
    David Mueller

Knowledge gained is directly proportional to the amount of equipment destroyed.

cheers, Jeff
    I watched his show last night where he was building the magazine file. He has some good techniques but I also saw him doing some things that I just won't do.

He was using his table saw sled and the fence in combination making a crosscut on his stock. That is not the real problem. Once he finished the cut he backed the whole operation right back across the blade. In my opinion that is a good way to get a serious kickback. However I don't use a sled and maybe that is an acceptable way to do what needed to be done. But at the same time I could see some novice ww'er getting the snot knocked out of him while repeating the same technique in his own shop.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hager
    I watched his show last night where he was building the magazine file. He has some good techniques but I also saw him doing some things that I just won't do.

He was using his table saw sled and the fence in combination making a crosscut on his stock. That is not the real problem. Once he finished the cut he backed the whole operation right back across the blade. In my opinion that is a good way to get a serious kickback. However I don't use a sled and maybe that is an acceptable way to do what needed to be done. But at the same time I could see some novice ww'er getting the snot knocked out of him while repeating the same technique in his own shop.
    Jim,

I have not seen the show (don't get it here) but from what you discribe it is something I've done for over 25 years. Whenever I finish a cut on my sled I just pull the sled back past the blade and remove the piece and put the next one on. Granted I have a stop on my sled and don't use the fence as a stop but when I have I've always used a block against the fence to leave clearence for the fall off between the blade and fence. Never once had a problem.
    Maybe you thought it was dangerous because "However I don't use a sled".

Charlie

Jeff, David was at the Dallas WW show last December. The question was asked regarding DVDs or tapes of the shows. IIRC, David said the programs were the property of the DIY network and that they have not considered marketing the videos.

I enjoy both NYW and Wood Works, but to me their is a great difference. IMO, David is an artist that implements his art in wood. Whereas our old TV friend Norm is an outstanding carpenter. Both very competent, but at different levels.
    Last edited by Ken Garlock; 02-24-2006 at 11:55 AM.
    Best Regards, Ken

There's a note on his web site saying that DIY has not decided to make any of the shows available on DVD (not yet, anyway).

My current cable package does not include the DIY TV channel unless I upgrade to premium cable package This is quite a hike in price, and was wondering if I could just purchase a volume set instead.
    One word: Satellite. Usually it's significantly cheaper these days.

a few guys on woodnet use their Tivo. I really need to get one.

Dish Network and a DVR, then onto a DVD recorder perhaps.

I record WoodWorks and New Yankee Workshop on my DirecTivo (A combination DirecTV receiver and Tivo recorder). Then I record the episodes I want to keep onto DVD.
    Sam/Atlanta

That's too bad. It sounds like I've missed a lot of shows even if I get DIY right now. As for the suggestion about satellite tv, it has been something I've been considering. Right now I have Comcast and it's not such a good value to me. Thanks for the replies!
    cheers, Jeff

My wife Tivo'd a bunch of shows and burned them to a DVD for me. 'Course, I managed to forget the DVD on this road trip...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I have also recorded almost every one of his shows. I am a huge fan of his. I am probably in the minority, but I am not a fan of NYW. Although I will never be in the same league as either Norm or David, I feel like I would be able to better replicate DM's work over Norm's. From my count, there are only five episodes where DM uses a metal fastener. Everything else is done with various types of joinery. I frequently watch his show before starting a project. What I get from Norm is to have a nail gun handy.
    Tom

Measure twice, ensure your measuring the right board three times, cut once.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Conger
    What I get from Norm is to have a nail gun handy.
    I cringe every time I here him say "and we'll just put a couple of brads in here ... bang! ... bang!"

Quote Originally Posted by David Mueller
    You can go to his web site and some of the shows are available.
    I stand corrected, it's the plans for his projects that are avail. not the TV show per say.
    David Mueller

Knowledge gained is directly proportional to the amount of equipment destroyed.