77 44.77%
  • I use Slotted (straight) screws almost exclusively

3 1.74%
  • Just fetch me a bigger hammer

4 2.33%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: who uses slotted screws...

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder
    And please, pardon my Canadian ignorance, but have Robertson screws still not really penetrated the US market?
    Henry Ford...
    Wikipedia says

Sorry, Frank, I wasn't here a year ago!
    Art my reference was not meant as a critisism. I figured that anyone interested in your poll should also be interested in the results and commnets with the previous one.

...Square/X ... Sorry, forgot about those. They're not that common around here, except in certain things (ie: Door hinges usually come with those). I, of course, would see those as a Robertson, and use a Robertson tip to drive them.
    I would hasten to add that they are inferior Robertson. Trying to cater to both types of screw drivers, "screws up" the screws somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    What's a slotted screw

Let's see Tyler, A slotted screw kinda looks like your backside in that thong of yours.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

art, i use quite a few square drives, i`ve started using some torque heads also. most hardware screws (usa) are phillips but the euro counterparts are torque. if i`m repairing or reproducing an antique i`ll use slots but try to avoid them.....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

It took me about a year to go through all the slots I had on hand but I was determined to get rid of them! Everything has been replaced with square drive screws. I just love the fact that you can put them on the end of the driver and they stay there!
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

I was just browsing the current (March/April 2006) issue of Fine Woodworking, specifically Crhis Becksvoort's article on "Keeping Tabletops Flat".

As I looked through the photos I was very surprised to see him using slotted screws. I checked closer and see three pictures where he is driving a slotted screw.

Being thoroughly Canadian, I use Robertson (square) screws almost exclusively. I will on occasion use a Phillips screw, but only rarely (eg: Drywall screws are all Phillips, for some reason). But I will NOT willingly use a slotted screw.

I have heard a few people claim that a "well-matched" slotted screw will grip the screwdriver well, but in my experience that has not proved the case. I've slipped, gouging myself or the workpiece, or just dropping the screw, far FAR too many times.

So, I'm curious, do you use slotted screws? Why or Why not.

And please, pardon my Canadian ignorance, but have Robertson screws still not really penetrated the US market?
    Art, we drove our RV to Alaska a couple of years ago and had to stop in Edmonton to make a repair. I went to HD and was surprised to find they didn't carry anything but square drive screws. I walked up and down that aisle ten times figuring I just missed them. That was almost as confusing as my visit to Canadian Tire. I paid $198 CN with exactly $200 and got about $50 in change. It took me a few seconds and help from the cashier to figure out that all but $2 was in "Canadian Tire Dollars". She said, and I quote "You're not from around here, are you?" It gave the wife a good chuckle.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    I figured that anyone interested in your poll should also be interested in the results and commnets with the previous one.
    Thanks, Frank, a bit of -er- screwing around with the search form and here it is:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16848

I was a bit puzzled by one gentleman's emphatic warning about having to deal with screws that had been painted over with 30 years worth of crud.

Robertson screws have been in use here for almost a hundred years. But I can't really think of the last time that I've ever had trouble with a screw being unuseable due to paint or some other gunky finish clogging it up.

Perhaps that has to do with the slight taper a true Robertson has. On rare occaisions I seem to recall using a thin pick to clean out a screw head, and the stuff pops out enough to give a bite to the screwdriver. But in truth, I have not worked in furniture restoration, and that would seem to me to be the main place that you might encounter this.

Anyone else encountered old robertson screws that are unusable (to remove) due to being filled with paint or other gunk?

Thanks, Frank, a bit of -er- screwing around with the search form and here it is:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16848
    Sorry Art, I intended to provide the link along with my comment and I did not realize that I had neglected to do so. Thanks for digging for it. I will also go back now and add it to my comment.

I was a bit puzzled by one gentleman's emphatic warning about having to deal with screws that had been painted over with 30 years worth of crud.

Robertson screws have been in use here for almost a hundred years. But I can't really think of the last time that I've ever had trouble with a screw being unuseable due to paint or some other gunky finish clogging it up.

Perhaps that has to do with the slight taper a true Robertson has. On rare occaisions I seem to recall using a thin pick to clean out a screw head, and the stuff pops out enough to give a bite to the screwdriver. But in truth, I have not worked in furniture restoration, and that would seem to me to be the main place that you might encounter this.

Anyone else encountered old robertson screws that are unusable (to remove) due to being filled with paint or other gunk?
    I too, have had to dig out gunk with a small nail or pin, but have never encountered a (true) Robertson screw that I could not remove. And, I have worked on quite a bit of restoration.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McDonaugh
    Art, we drove our RV to Alaska a couple of years ago and had to stop in Edmonton to make a repair. I went to HD and was surprised to find they didn't carry anything but square drive screws. I walked up and down that aisle ten times figuring I just missed them. That was almost as confusing as my visit to Canadian Tire. I paid $198 CN with exactly $200 and got about $50 in change. It took me a few seconds and help from the cashier to figure out that all but $2 was in "Canadian Tire Dollars". She said, and I quote "You're not from around here, are you?" It gave the wife a good chuckle.
    Dennis, you just need to look closer... I think the ratio is probably about 98% Robertson. Seriously, you'll find Phillips in the brass section, or with other specialty fasteners. And, of course, you could have always fallen back on drywall screws. Those are all Phillips.

As for Canadian Tire money. I think the ratio is either 3% or 5% in C.Tire money for cash transactions. And if you think you were confused... back in '91 when I moved to Edmonton I was was shocked to discover that the western Canada Canadian Tire stores did not use Canadian Tire money. (They added it in about 5 years later, if I recall.) Seemed almost un-Canadian.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wilson
    I use Robertson's for furniture carcass work and phillips for home repair because the next owner probably won't have a square drive.
    Interestingly enough, I'm seeing more and more Robertson/Square drive screws in things like windows and doors and electrical gear.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Recently, I was using some small (#4 x 1/2") brass philips head in a tight place where it was difficult to get a straight shot at them. After stripping several I went to the hardware store bought slotted replacements and with an offset screwdriver ran them in ok. One ofe the few cases, I guess, but one , at least.
    18th century nut --- Carl

I can see certain instances where phillips screws are used, but I have never understood why ANYONE would want to mess with slotted screws. They have to be the worst design for a screwhead in the world.

I much prefer square drives since they cam out less than any other design.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Eyman
    Recently, I was using some small (#4 x 1/2") brass philips head in a tight place where it was difficult to get a straight shot at them. After stripping several I went to the hardware store bought slotted replacements and with an offset screwdriver ran them in ok. One ofe the few cases, I guess, but one , at least.
    I've been in that very situation, and IMHO it's still easier to deal with Phillips, if for no other reason than that there's exactly half as much jockeying of the screwdriver to get it lined up with the screwhead.

(Of course, my opinion is somewhat biased by the fact that the only offset screwdriver I have is, you guessed it, Phillips.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Electrical manufactures (boxes, clamps, hangers, are offering options with square/phillips/slotted all in one screw. Speeds things up a little
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I agree with Steve and Barry. I use slotted brass for looks and square for strength and ease of use.
    When in doubt, ask a Creeker.