Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fein vs. Festool vs. PC RO sanders?

Fein vs. Festool vs. PC RO sanders?

In the market for a high end RO sander. From the wooden boat end of things, I have always been steered toward Fein. Lately, I hear a lot about Festool. Others have said that the PC sander will do the job just fine and is $200 less expensive. So, opinions please???? Speed of stock removal? Vibrations? Dust Collection? Anything will be better than the black 'n decker sandstorm I am using now....

Thanks,

-dan

30 views and no comments?

30 views and no comments?? Come on guys what are you using for sanders??

-dan

I used a PC333 for a while. Got tired of the anti-runup band giving me trouble. My tool dealer made me a deal I couldn't refuse on a DW421.

Both these are competent sanders that will remove stock. Both have high vibration, and pads that are not perpendicular with the motor's axis (pad runout, this is a pet peeve of mine).

My next sander, when I finally get sick of the DeWalt, will be one of the makes you mention, either a Fein 6" or a Festool Rotex. Probably the Festool, if for no other reason than the mind-bending pricetag on the Fein. I've played with the Fein 6" some, it is a nice machine, but I don't think it is a hundred bucks nicer than Rotex, if it is nicer at all.

Sorry, this isn't a great hands-on testimonial or anything, but since you weren't getting any answers...

Dave

Hi Dan,

I have the Festool ES 150/3 6" ROS and really love it. I know a Festool ROS cost much more than $ 100 but I'd give them a chance as they are worth every penny in my opinion.
    Excellent design and ergonomics, well balanced and low weight (you can use it very comfortably with one or two hands), VS, hardly any vibrations (very important if you sand an extended period of time), extremely smooth sanding operation and great finish result, hook and loop (Festool calls it Stickfix) and the best dust collection I can imagine.
    The sander comes with a filter bag which works quite well but if possible connect it to a vac. I have the Festool CT 22 vac (wet/dry extraction, auto on/off, variable suction - very important when using a vac attached to a sander) and have to admit that this combination is hard to beat. It allows almost dust-free sanding.

Festool makes a couple of other ROS's too:

The Rotex: 6", unique 3in1 tool which combines preliminary sander, fine sander and polisher

The ES 125: 5" palm grip model

The ES 150/5: same as the ES 150/3 but with a 5 mm stroke (the ES 150/3 has a 3 mm stroke).

All Festool's are very well made German high quality tools, built like a tank, come in a systainer (stackable case), have a 30 days money back guarantee and a 3 year guarantee.

There are some reviews on the web you might like to check out:
    ES 125
    ES 150/5
    Rotex
    ES 150/5

Feel free to email me for any specifics. And I recommend to contact Bob Marino (Festool ISA and hobby woodworker) at ROBARLMAR@aol.com for more information. He's very helpful, friendly and knows a lot about the tools.

Regards,

Christian

Blog Entries

Mine!

I hace a PC 335 and haven't worn it out yet. Think I paid about $80, for $200 I could still buy another one and be money ahead, even if this one wore out!.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Cool

I've got a Festool ES 125 on order, primarily based on the review of Dennis Peacock, as well as awesome support/communication from Bob Marino. I've not seen a single negative comment on it or any of the Festool lineup. I'll post my results when I take delivery of said unit.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I'll wait another Ten Years

I have a PC 5" (horizontal motor) about 10+ years old and Variable speed. Maybe it'll be worn out in another ten years and I'll look for something else. Meanwhile any vibration problems are solvable wit6h the VS. I'm not a pro so maybe don't use one as much as you guys making a living, but this seems to have given me all the service I could ask. Carl
    18th century nut --- Carl

I,m a very dedicated PC fan. Have most of their guns, several routers, saws, guides, pocket machine, etc. I have two 330 pad sanders, very good sanders for no orbiting. I HAD 2 pc333's, but after blowing off the canisters, doing the pc retro fits, tape, clamps, screws, silicone, trying to solve the problem, I ended up buying two makita's. Love them, have already wore one out. I wear one out about once a year. I ended up selling the pc333 on Ebay.
    Have not been around the fein's or festools.
    Steve

i like my dewalt

until i started snooping in here, i never heard of fein or festool. when i built the house, i bought a Dewalt 421 and used it to sand everything from doors to base to trim to floor to thresholds (1600 sqft floor, 22 doors, etc.) ... a LOT of work.

it started getting hot at about 14 months. called dewalt, they took it back and gave me a brand new unit, no questions asked. works just dandy.

what's the advantage of a fein or festool?

b

Although it's not on your list, I'm very happy with a Bosch 5" Mdl 3725DVS ROS, variable speed, I've had several years. It appears to have been replaced with a 3725DEVS just recently. It's significantly cheaper than those you list. My demands/skills are probably not up to those of Dave Arbuckle (doubt I could tell runout effects) but it does a fine job for a hobbyist furniture maker like myself.

not that big of a price difference....

Dave,

I don't see that big of a price difference with the vacs included?
    I think the major price difference is between the to dust extractors. prices I have seen are:

Festool Rotax Sander $395 + vac $695

Fein 6" $ 499 + vac $729

So the sanders by themselve are $100 apart, but when you add in the vac, only $34 difference. The Festool vac included is "22" which is a little smaller than the Fein vac.

Thanks for the comments..

dan

You're right, Dan. We all have our built-in prejudices and such, I already have a Fein vacuum so that didn't enter into my calculations!

Dave

I love the Rotex

I've got a PC 5" ROS and a Rotex. I'm still keeping the PC around for when someone wants to borrow it, but the Rotex is the only sander I use now. It is a great machine and well worth the price upgrade. In rotary mode is removes stock very quickly, the ROS mode is great, and it works well as a polisher to boot. The dust collection on the machine is also vastly more efficient than that on the PC 5".

BTW I use the Rotex with a Fein vacuum.
    Geoff in Oakland

Thats what I have been looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Siemering
    I've got a PC 5" ROS and a Rotex. I'm still keeping the PC around for when someone wants to borrow it, but the Rotex is the only sander I use now. It is a great machine and well worth the price upgrade. In rotary mode is removes stock very quickly, the ROS mode is great, and it works well as a polisher to boot. The dust collection on the machine is also vastly more efficient than that on the PC 5".

BTW I use the Rotex with a Fein vacuum.
    About to put in an order with Festool, and have been looking for someone who had a good sander and a rotex and what they thought. Looks like If I get the Rotex it will do all I need and more.

Thanks