Thread: ECabinet Systems - anyone using this?

ECabinet Systems - anyone using this?

I did a search for this software and only came up with some posts for 2004 and 2003.

I'm going through the 250 page manual (pdf) and am pretty impressed, but I haven't loaded the software yet. Is anyone on this forum a serious user of this software and the integrated purchasing system? If you've tried the current version, please let me know what you think about it.

I saw this being demo'd at the Woodworking Industry trade show in Pomona, CA and it looked like something that would cost about $20,000 to $30,000 (except that it is free).

Roland

I just loaded it on my laptop. After running it the first time, I quit the program and the system crashed. WinXP reported a problem with my graphics card; I believe that this problem has already been reported and version 4.1 Update 3 should have addressed this problem. However, my laptop may still need a firmware update for the graphics card.

I agree, the program seems to be very powerful, with a very steep learning curve.

Al

i have that program and have not taken the time to figure it out..02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Doesn't this package implore you buy the components from them or something...or am I thinking about something else?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Had it and didn't use it, because I don't do a lot of cabinets.

I have it. Haven't reloaded it or upgraded the last disc I got in the mail since my last computer crash.
    When I first got it, it would hang my computer. After contacting tech support, the problem was my screen resolution.
    I finally got the hang of the program. Works ok.
    Software is set for default sizes, standard cabinet sizes, but can be changed to any size.
    You have to build each box if they are not standard dimensions, which takes a lot of time if you are slow like me.
    You basically have to prove you are a business to receive the software.
    Software is given away, and they are planning on you, or want you to use their suppliers for materials, etc.
    It is also tied into their CNC machines.
    If I ever get time to reload it, and time to get reaquainted with it, I'll use it again.

I remember the first time I used it to set up a kitchen.
    After spending hours building boxes, etc, I placed all the cabinets on the wall dimensions, and brought up the finished lower cab set.
    Much to my surprise, there was a set of lower cabs, hanging on the wall, including a dishwasher and stove. EEK!!
    I had it in upper cab mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    After spending hours building boxes, etc, I placed all the cabinets on the wall dimensions, and brought up the finished lower cab set. Much to my surprise, there was a set of lower cabs, hanging on the wall, including a dishwasher and stove. EEK!! I had it in upper cab mode.
    Steve...it was a kitchen for tall people... ...or weightless environments.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Steve...it was a kitchen for tall people... ...or weightless environments.

I've been using the software for about a year now. Cabinets are easily built by modifying one of the included "seed" cabinets. Once you have them modified, you can save them in a separate directory as your "seed" cabinet. After awhile, you will find that it will only take minutes to modify a similar cabinet into what you currently want to build. Very nice program and easy to use if you are building only cabinets. Custom furniture and mouldings require a considerable time to be proficient. You don't have to purchase anything through the software. I've been meaning to try purchasing though, but I'm not organized enough to account for the lead times (I've read somewhere that they run anywhere from 2-3 weeks). A tutorial is included with the software. If you will force yourself to work through the tutorial (at least the cabinet parts), you will be up and running in no time. The software also produces cutlists and diagrams. The diagrams show dado and shelf pin locations. Once you get the basics down, you will shorten you build time considerably. This is nice for something as straight forward (i.e. boring) as cabinets.
    ___
    Rick