Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you subscribe to wood magazines?

I subscribe to Wood and plan on Subscribing to Fine Homebuilding. Like Kevin above I have been getting several books. I have spent alot of time and money at Half Price Books.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McKinley
    I subscribe to Wood and plan on Subscribing to Fine Homebuilding. Like Kevin above I have been getting several books. I have spent alot of time and money at Half Price Books.
    Chuck, FHB is ok, but I much prefer The Journal of Light Construction. I think that it offers more "down-to-earth" approaches to building, whereas FHB is often laden with artsy, out-of-everyone's-price-range-except-Bill-Gates' stuff. And FHB will often lag JLC on similar subjects by a few months only they don't necessarily do as good of a job at explaining the same. So, if you haven't taken the plunge already, at least look into it.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

A plug for the Guide

I guess I'm the one who spends too much time with the mags and not enough in the shop!

Seriously, back when I was a woodworking wannabe living in the Big Apple and working sixty hours a week, coming home to the latest FWW (or Wood, or WWJ, or AWW, or ....) was the closest I ever got to putting sharp things next to lignin.

Now that I'm retired to the country with my own shop, the habit has persisted--I still get a bunch of WW mags and keep the back issues neatly files in magazine file cases.

This is made worthwhile by the Woodworker's Guide, a program that has indexed all the articles, tool reviews, etc., in all the issues of a couple of dozen woodworking magazines. Want to make a butler's tray? Just enter the search term "butler" and presto! cites to four articles from four different mags pop up (from the mags and issues I've told the Guide I have saved--you might have more hits or fewer).

You can order it from http://www.woodworkersindexing.com

No affiliation, yadda yadda yadda...

Mike Schwing Guest
    I subscribe to Fine Woodworking because it inspires me. I subscribe to Popular Woodworking and American Woodworker because they have things I can actually build. I subscribe to WOOD because they have things I can build that help me to build things. Case in point - the wonderful band saw table from a recent WOOD issue - I'm nearly done that - and when done I'll have a great circle cutting method for some Shaker pedestal tables that have been requested of me.

Blog Entries

Magazines

I get Wood, Workbench and American Woodworker.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Here they are....In my fav order too

Shopnotes....love the tips section

Fine Woodworking....simply awesome

Woodsmith....more tips....someday I hope to build more of these projects.