Thread: Knobs & Pulls

Question Knobs & Pulls

I'm making baby furniture for my new grandson (Ryan Patrick due in November). The parents have settled on a nautical theme. I'm looking for knobs and drawer pulls (sailboats, anchors, etc) for the furniture. I've looked in Woodworking Supply and Van Dyke's Restorers - no luck. Any of you have other soruces? Thanks.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Trantham
    I'm making baby furniture for my new grandson (Ryan Patrick due in November). The parents have settled on a nautical theme. I'm looking for knobs and drawer pulls (sailboats, anchors, etc) for the furniture. I've looked in Woodworking Supply and Van Dyke's Restorers - no luck. Any of you have other soruces? Thanks.

Try Myknobs at

http://store.yahoo.com/myknobs/

Here's something I quickly found:

http://search.myknobs.com/cgi-bin/my...2Fnsearch.html

Here's a pretty decent link:

http://www.myknobs.com/emdecharnaut.html

I've used them, and they have always delived as promised.
    Last edited by Eric Apple - Central IN; 07-28-2003 at 10:13 AM.

Try niceknobs.com. Hope this helps. Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Trantham
    Pete Lamberty

Byron

I've also used myknobs and I've been happy with their service. Dave

Blog Entries

Here's one!

Did a google search for Nautical Brass Hardware and came up with this one:

Brass Hardware

Tried to send you the changing table plans, but the address rejects the message with the file attached.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Hi Byron

I read two things in your post which, for me would be design criteria.

First is grandson's and second is nautical theam.

As furniture for your grandsons room I would want pulls that were very easy to get a hold of and had no sharp corners.

Easy to get a hold of because a lot of times you need to open a drawer while focusing on the infant or child.

No sharp corners because you doing want something snaging you while your attention is somewhere else.

With that in mind I thought of the second criteria. Nautical!

What came to mind is rope. A drawer pull that was a short rope with a nautical knot on the end of it woudl satisfy both requirments.

What kind of knot? How about a Turks Head ?
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

When you pick out hardware, make sure it doesn't have any "sharp" corners

In the 30 odd years I have installed many different types and kinds of hardware. The one thing I would warn, stress etc on putting on any cabinets or furniture is that when you get close to the cabinet, the hardware doesn't catch your clothes. don't use hardware that may be harmfull for small children to get their small hands and fingers caught in.

Even adults can have problems---case and point---

In one of the first cabinet shops I worked in, a customer had a complaint about she couldn't figure out why her cabinet doors were getting all scratched up around the door pulls.

So the boss lady/designer went to see what the problem was and when she got the there, the maid was the only one there, so she ask to see the cabinets. While the maid was showing her the problem, the maid opened one of the doors and the boss lady seen that the maid had some large rings on her fingers and everytime she would open the doors they would receive a scratch. so to cover the damaged door, a backing plate was installed. So if you have a client that wears large rings, try to stear them away some of the types of hardware that will cause this to happen. The deep handled hardware would be best he so there would be plenty of clearance for the fingers.

KEN

PS: But think of the kids first!!!!!!!!!!!
    RUSTYNAIL

Talking Thanks!!! All Of You.

I can't believe this response. I provided my son with this link and he went nuts. Tonight, he and his wife are going to go over all options and pick one. Another problem solved by SMC.

I especially want to thank you, Ken for your practical and safety advice. I pointed out your comments to my son.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1