Thread: Table Leg Extensions

Table Leg Extensions

Has anyone made adjustable leg extensions to raise a table height? My wife wants me to make her some this weekend for the table she uses for cutting out fabric. She sews and quilts and was silly enough to volunteer to help a friend's daughter by making 20 table runners for her wedding in April. She's talking about 6" maximum rise, and showed me pictures of some sold commercially made of PVC with slots and thumbscrews but I can't see any detail. I looked at the legs and it looks like 1-1/2" PVC will fit over them but how can I attach them in an adjustable manner without drilling thru the legs? Would I put wood dowell inside the bottom for strength, or just a pvc union? Any ideas welcome.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

2. Hi Joe,

I made a cutting table for my wife. She is also a quilter. I used a standard table and removed the top. I then built a 6" high section that had a large drawer in it and mounted the section on top of the table frame. I then remounted the top. She uses the drawer to store all of her cutting equipment.

I know that this is a permanent modification but it sure made LOML happy.

Let me know if you need photos.
    Tipp City, Ohio

Table Leg Extensions

Ralph,

That sounds great, but my wife normally will cut her small quilt pieces sitting and the table height is fine for that. It's only because she's cutting a lot of big stuff that she wants it higher because she will stand up. She has a whole sewing room full of equipment and storage but for cutting
    a lot at once, she unfolds this banquet type table and uses it in another room, and then folds it back up when done.
    Last edited by Joe Pelonio; 02-15-2006 at 5:47 PM. Reason: sp

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

If it's the type of table with four straight, round legs, you might be able to use pipe or EMT electrical conduit to extend them. Otherwise, maybe just set the table up on cement blocks.

joe, how about hose clamps????? .02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

I'd think if the 1 1/2 PVC fits tight enough you could drill a hole though the PVC and put a Bolt for the table to rest on. I've made some fishing pole holder out of 1 1/2" PVC and it strong stuff. If it's not tight enough you might put some shims inside the pipe so that the legs don't wiggle.
    Sounds kinda rune Goldberg but if it only a temp thing use the McGiver approach.

Table Leg Extensions

Both ideas could work, Tod & Don. Hose clamps on the table leg, maybe rubber around it first, to keep the pipe in place and easily adjustable. The holes/bolts would work too, I can drill them every inch. I'll try them both and see which is less wobbly.

Sammamish, WA

joe, slit the pvc on the bandsaw then apply clamps to the pvc, the leg resting on a bolt would only strengthen the whole assembly...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.