Thread: Porter Cable Customer Service

Talking Porter Cable Customer Service

Just a follow-up to a message posted last evening. First I would like to thanks everyone who responded.

I called Porter Cable Customer Service regarding the broken router bit for the 4215 mini dovetail template. After about 1 minute talking to the service rep, she asked for my address and said they will send out a new bit set for the template free of charge. What a pleasant experience.

I have been thinking about the dovetail jigs and have a couple of questions:
    Aside from the size difference between the D4 and the D1600, are there any other things to consider? I am thinking about returning the 1600 and upgrading to the D4

I spent an hour or so reading over the manual and reading a couple of web site reviews and am wondering if the jig is too advanced for what I need. Has anyone experienced any problems with the Leigh after initial set-up and test cuts.

Once again, thanks for all the input and also, an A+ to Proter Cable Customer Service.

Paul,

First of all, the jig is not to advanced for what you are going to do. The jig does what it does and anyone can use it---novice or beginner. Like everything else, it has a learning curve but when it is all said and done it is no more complicated than any other jig on the market. Yes, if you are going to try to learn how to cut every kind of joint that the jig is capable of in one night, it will be a little overwhelming. If you take it one joint at a time, it is really very easy to absorb. The manual is intimidating to some people because of its size but the size is indicative of it thoroughness and not complicity. View the DVD or VHS tape that comes with the jig and that helps relieve any apprehension you may have.

As far as the size of the jig, I would return the 1600 and go for the D4. I just don't like facing limitations that I don't have to especially on high end quality equipment. One 24 inch blanket chest for your wife with the D4 and you will be glad you got it.

The End

Dan Owen

The D1600 is nice, but the D4 is more flexible, IMHO. BTW, Stephan has one for sale in the SMC classifieds for a very nice price...nearly new.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Love the D4. I haven't used any other but it didn't take long to learn and only takes a few minutes to "relearn" when doing another project.

Haven't done a lot of different joints but did a LOT of drawers from my kitchen and it made short work of them.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"