Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can cause allergic reaction...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Cothren
    Yeah, me too. But it's cuz it STEEENKS so bad... probably stinks about as bad as that ice cream that Andy eats.

So far I've been lucky and haven't noticed any allergic reactions to the woods I've worked. I'll go knock on some of that wood right now....
    Oh man, I must be in the minority.. I love the smell of fresh cut black walnut. I absolutely abhor the smell of fresh cut red-oak (smells like wet dog to me).

I haven't run across any sever reactions to any of the woods mentioned so far. I have not worked cocobolo which I hear (and have seen pics) is highly allergenic.

My son got something similar to hives when turning cocobolo. Also said he was feeling sick to his stomach. I had some purpleheart smoke off a drill bit go up my nose and felt pretty funny. Not funny haha either.

Craig - Thanks for that link to the toxity.

I turned 5 separate objects out of Olivewood last weekend, and it is listed as an Irritant and Sensitizer (not sure what that means). Also, Zebrawood (turned one peice), and Purpleheart (3).

Gonna bet that it was the Olivewood, as I had the longest exposure to that. Everywhere that was not covered, ears, neck, back of neck, and any other part of my body I touched, itches. It didn't seem to effect my hands though, maybe cuz the skin is tougher.

That's unfortunate cuz the four pens that I made are absolutly beautiful. I like the simple distinct grain and the different colors that naturally come out.
    Tom

Measure twice, ensure your measuring the right board three times, cut once.

What I've done is that when I plan to turn something that causes a reaction
    ie. rosewoods and cocobolo are the worst, I take a little benadryl before hand. I then shower after and use something like Gold bond cream. Seems to control it well. The face mask and DC are also a good help.
    David Mueller

Knowledge gained is directly proportional to the amount of equipment destroyed.

Bottom line for me is any rosewood (dalbergia) may KILL me! I won't go near the stuff, even walked out of a Nick Cook demo due to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ramsey
    Yeah, when asked by the Police how did you get that up your nose??
    You just explain the drill bit thing .

HAHAH. :P That smoke will choke you. It's caustic.

Funny thing was I was drilling several blanks (like 5) and I usually don't wear a mask when drilling. So I went and turned them sanded them (mask in place.) Once I was done, I removed the mask and about an hour later I blew my nose. Ewwww. black on the tissue. Thought it was funny, but then was thinking...hmmm need to wear the mask more often.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Broke down and went to the doctor this morning. I was up all night due to the fricken itching.

Got a shot of cortizone, some benadryl type stuff, and some cream. Guess he thought is was serious.

I learned my lesson. Oh yea, be sure to wash your hands and clothes before coming into contact with any other part of your body. Anywhere I touched after that turning has broken out. Very irritating.
    Tom

Measure twice, ensure your measuring the right board three times, cut once.