Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boeshield T-9?

Boeshield T-9?

For about 35 years I had used nothing but a can of Johnson's Paste Wax on my machinery tops. No rust to speak of and wood slides just fine. I let a salesman talk me into a can of Boeshield T-9. On the can it says, "Waterproof Lubrication, Rust and Corrosion Protection". I put it on the table and fence of a new 8" jointer that I bought at the same time. You see, I had to try out the stuff on something!

Anyway when jointing a board I feel like I am pushing much harder to slide it along the table than when I was just using Johnson's Wax on my old 6" jointer. It just feels like there is a whole lot of resistance to sliding that I am not accustomed to. On occasion I felt like my hands were going to slip on the board instead of the board slipping on the table. That, my friends, is what I consider a major safety hazard. I did polish the table and fence when I set up the machine and they are not where the problem is coming from.

Has anyone else had any experience with this product? I am just before taking it off of the machine and going back to my old wax system. The other thought I had was to put Johnson's over the T-9 and see what happens, if the T-9 keeps the table from rusting and the wax allows stuff to slide then I would win both ways.

that was what I expereanced using that stuff I think the can is still on the shelf that was 10 years ago I'm still waxing and have no problems,,
    why fix it if it wasn't broke
    Mike

Blog Entries

We tried it!

At work, we make a lot of machines with exposed steel and cast iron. We tired Boeshield and it seems to prevent rusting just fine, maybe better than paste wax. We have one guy that can cause almost anything to rust just by handling it. T-9 seems to resist even him. The down side is it stays somewhat sticky and tends to collect dust. We tried the heavy spray and let it dry method and the light spray and wipe it off method. Both work for rust prevention. Not sure I would like the feel on my TS. I use Johnson paste wax at home and have no rusting problems.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

[]
    If you want protection AND slippery use Topcoat instead,and it lasts longer than the Johnson's paste wax.

Boeshield

Quote Originally Posted by Mac McAtee
    For about 35 years I had used nothing but a can of Johnson's Paste Wax on my machinery tops. No rust to speak of and wood slides just fine. I let a salesman talk me into a can of Boeshield T-9. On the can it says, "Waterproof Lubrication, Rust and Corrosion Protection". I put it on the table and fence of a new 8" jointer that I bought at the same time. You see, I had to try out the stuff on something!

Anyway when jointing a board I feel like I am pushing much harder to slide it along the table than when I was just using Johnson's Wax on my old 6" jointer. It just feels like there is a whole lot of resistance to sliding that I am not accustomed to. On occasion I felt like my hands were going to slip on the board instead of the board slipping on the table. That, my friends, is what I consider a major safety hazard. I did polish the table and fence when I set up the machine and they are not where the problem is coming from.

Has anyone else had any experience with this product? I am just before taking it off of the machine and going back to my old wax system. The other thought I had was to put Johnson's over the T-9 and see what happens, if the T-9 keeps the table from rusting and the wax allows stuff to slide then I would win both ways.
    I have used Boeshield and find that it lasts longer than paste wax. It should not ever be sticky, but it does not leave the surface as smooth as wax. I have also put a coat of wax over the Boeshield and regained that smoothness, but not sure if I am removing some of the Boeshield in the process. Certainly worth a try, especiallty since you have the product already.

Bob Marino
    bob m

Thumbs up Flitz metal polish

The table on my PM 66 was a mess when I got it. I used wd-40 and steel wool to clean it. It rusted. I bought a bottle of Flitz at Woodworkers warehouse. I applied it with steel wool and wiped it off. The table now looks almost as good as new. Considering the ammount of rain and high humidity this summer I think it is working well. I can not find Johnson's paste wax in this area (Western PA). Where are you buying it?

No affiliation, just a happy customer.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McKinley
    The table on my PM 66 was a mess when I got it. I used wd-40 and steel wool to clean it. It rusted. I bought a bottle of Flitz at Woodworkers warehouse. I applied it with steel wool and wiped it off. The table now looks almost as good as new. Considering the ammount of rain and high humidity this summer I think it is working well. I can not find Johnson's paste wax in this area (Western PA). Where are you buying it?

No affiliation, just a happy customer.
    I don't know if there is much difference among the waxes; Johnson's, Butchers or Minwax. If Johnson's isn't available, the others should be at the big boxes or the supermarket.

Bob
    bob m

Wax

I have used Minwax, Johnson's and Butcher's Wax on my cast tool surfaces, and they all seem to work fine, and are all about the same. I can get Johnson's Paste Wax at Walmart in my neck of the woods. If you can't find Johnson's, Minwax is just as good. The protection seems to be the same with all the above, and the slippery factor is also the same. Even non silicone Automotive Polish/Wax will do the trick.......just make sure it is non abrasive and contains NO silicone.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McKinley
    ...I can not find Johnson's paste wax in this area (Western PA). Where are you buying it?

Charles,

I couldn't find it anywhere in SE PA either. Then I looked in the floor care section at Lowes. Bingo, there it was. So if you got one close give it a try.

Noah

I've tried them all over the years

Over the course of the last 10 years or so I've used Johnson's Paste wax, Boeshield T-9, Butcher's Wax, and Topecoat. The paste wax always worked well though it was the least effective of the items in preventing rust. It always required more frequent applications to my cast iron surfaces. Then I tried using the Boeshield, it wasn't as slick, and took longer to set up before I could buff it. I wasn't really that thrilled about it overall. About four years ago I was convinced to buy a can of Topcoat. As far as I'm concerned, its the cat's meow. It lasts months before needing a recoat, it helps things slide nicely, and of the different things I've tried it's the most effective at preventing rust. I use it on all of my stationary power tools cast iron surfaces, on my handplanes, and on just about everything else made from iron or steel. Overall it does everything I want it to except apply itself.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Reilly
    []
    If you want protection AND slippery use Topcoat instead,and it lasts longer than the Johnson's paste wax.
    I sweat like a pig and I always have problems with little rust spots on my equipment until I bought some top coat. I use a maroon Scotchbright pad to remove surface rust and apply the Top Coat. Stuff holds up very well and is very slick.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

The really nice thing about TopCote is that you can blow the sawdust off a metal surface, spray a fresh application and be ready to use the tool in just a few minutes.

Topcote

As others have expressed...my choice is Topcote. Have been using it for several years (after switching from wax). I had a lot of problems with rust when I moved from Maine to Washington State. Local Jet dealer there gave me a can to try (when I bought my new Jointer). Still have that same can and no rust on any of my tools. Excellent product.

Be well,

Doc

I have found that Boeshield works much better than wax for rust prevention. I use it on my cast iron surfaces as well as other rust susceptible hand tools. However, it is terrible as a surface lubricator for woodworking. It actually makes the cast iron somewhat tacky.

So I always apply paste wax over the Boeshield. I don't have to re-apply the Boeshield for at least a year and I only apply the wax as often as the tool needs it to keep things slick, not for rust prevention.

I too use T-9 with a wax overcoat and swear by it. Here in hot, humid Florida, my TS and jointer cast iron surfaces rust in 3-5 days with just paste wax. Using Topcote alone extended that to about 7-10 days. The T-9/paste wax combo seems to wear forever. I do wipe the T-9 off carefully and let it dry for at least a day before adding the wax overcoat.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb