Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Valley Seconds Sale

Lee Valley Seconds Sale

Well, I guess that I've been on too many of these as I had a hard time finding something to spend my money on.
    I've either got all of the planes and saws that I need, or don't see myself using some of the others.
    I ended up getting one of the apron planes (who doesn't need another small block plane) and a cheap gimmicky 3 interchangeable bladed knife.
    I was hoping to see one of the little box plow planes, but they weren't there. Maybe next time.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, there are already more tools in my shop than need be there. Though the carcass saw did tempt me for a little bit.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It's telling that all the bevel down planes went before the bevel up's did.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Yeah, there are already more tools in my shop than need be there. Though the carcass saw did tempt me for a little bit. jtk
    I got a deal through Craigslist a couple of years ago on a couple of the Veritas saws.
    I got the rip tenon, crosscut carcass and a 14tpi dovetail (I already had one), all barely used for $120.
    The guy just figured out that he wasn't a hand tool woodworker and was unloading them.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    It's telling that all the bevel down planes went before the bevel up's did.
    What's it telling?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Yeah, there are already more tools in my shop than need be there. Though the carcass saw did tempt me for a little bit.

jtk
    Ditto, except LH shooting plane $80 off was calling to me.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    I had the same feeling a year ago when I got my RH shooting plane. I never could tell why it was a second.

I considered the large router plane with imperial blades, and storage box. By the time the Little Voice said "Go for it", they were sold out. Such is life....

I have more than enough tools for several people, but am sort of curious/often interested in the Veritas models with bevel up irons.
    Did they sell any?

What model is this one?
    How much does it go for typically?
    I kind of like the concept.

DSC_0154.jpg

(Someone asked me to accurize it last year, don't have any real records except some photos for the client as it developed)

Also interested in what bevel down selling out first might indicate?

smt<------religiously polyrhykenamorous.
    There, admitted in public.!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Schoenthal View Post
    I got a deal through Craigslist a couple of years ago on a couple of the Veritas saws.
    I got the rip tenon, crosscut carcass and a 14tpi dovetail (I already had one), all barely used for $120.
    The guy just figured out that he wasn't a hand tool woodworker and was unloading them.
    That's gloat worthy. I purchased a Veritas dovetail saw for my grandson. I liked it so much that I purchased a factory second for myself. I think there was a thin spot in the handle finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    The LH shooting plane at a seconds price also called to me and made me glad to have listened.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen thomas View Post

Also interested in what bevel down selling out first might indicate?

smt<------religiously polyrhykenamorous.
    There, admitted in public.!

Either they didn't have many to sell or maybe people like to use a chip breaker more than a high angle blade set up.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I picked up the small drawknife at 25% off. When I went back several hours later they were still available. I would have bought a gift card had they been available but I suspect selling those at a discount doesn't help Lee Valley's bottom line.

That people generally prefer bevel down than bevel up planes apparently. I had thought it was potato, potaato. When I started about a 15 years ago, seems like there was much more talk about bevel up planes.

Either they didn't have many to sell or maybe people like to use a chip breaker more than a high angle blade set up.

Well you got me on the first part. I did not know of the sale until reading here and it was over, so was curious about that.

On the second part; i wonder if it is that conscious?
    Or if it is buying what looks familiar?
    IOW "let me fill out the bench planes and then i'll consider the oddballs"?

Also, there are "style" cycles in tools, as well as women's fashion.
    Or economics trends depending on mass excess "mad money"
    If someone is closer to the public practice of plane use these days, it would be interesting to hear if there is an actual trend.

Re: large versions of low angle bedded planes, i've sort of been in the latter category ("will eventually get to the oddballs later") all my life and never pulled the trigger on a Stanley or got around to building a similar plane.
    But having essentially learned my early version of plane mechanics with a Stanley 60-1/2 low angle block plane which can do nearly anything, the larger versions intrigue me.
    Maybe it's time to fire up the milling machine & shaper. If there were more spare time.

smt

Thanks Prashun and Stephen, I'm not a plane fanatic but I was curious.
    There are "probably" 80% bevel down planes compared to bevel up, so a lop sided showing isn't a huge surprise to me.
    Just wondered why others thought there was something to it

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    I would have bought a gift card had they been available but I suspect selling those at a discount doesn't help Lee Valley's bottom line.
    They don't do it very often anyway. I bought a $500 gift card last Black Friday for $430, knowing that I could easily use it up.