Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you sharpen nail clippers

How do you sharpen nail clippers

How do you sharpen nail clippers

Are you talking about finger nail clippers? Because if you are, I don't. They're cheap and last a long time, so I would probably just buy a new one. Though, I lose them before they go dull. So I've never had to deal with it before.

But I suppose you could use a small file to joint the cutting edge and then a round slipstone across the front with the teeth closed to sharpen them. Or a flat whetstone if they're flat. If they have the bevel facing out, I don't know how you'd do it without removing the rivet in the back. Maybe running that round slipstone side to side instead of front to back?

Blog Entries
    If they are typical nail clippers, Jimmy's suggestion of using a slip stone is likely the way to go.

On some nail clippers, once the handle is off you can spin the blades apart so they can be worked separately.

To me, a better solution would be to find a different clipper. Mine is a pair of flush cut wire clippers. These were a pair discarded by an electronics systems manufacturer about 45 years ago.

MS54 Flush Cut Wire Clippers Cutters.jpg
    (Note: this is an image copied from the internet)

I have found them especially useful for my toenails. At one time I had a problem with ingrown toenails. My fingernails are usually kept in check with a nail file. These come out if one gets cracked or partially broken.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I envy folks that get long life out of clippers; I have always had thick and very tough nails that are hard on clippers. Since I am an electrical engineer, I've tried various types of side cutters and haven't been happy with them. My current favorite are these straight nippers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K35T751...roduct_details I use the straight variety.

They are beautifully made, come super sharp and hold their edge better than any others I've tried (and I've tried many over the years). Best thing, if you fold the spring down (which makes them easy to store, BTW) the jaws open nearly .75 inches and it's easy to touch them up with one of those card type diamond slips.

I use them on toes and fingers, but I have larger hands than most so some might prefer something smaller for fingernails. I dislike curved clippers as the radius is always too small for my big nails, except maybe the two smallest fingers. I'd rather approximate a curve with the straight nippers and smooth with a sapphire nail file.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I remember the teeny-tiny stone that came with a 12 pack of Ginger scissors. I imagine something similar could be used on clippers (with care and a steady hand).

https://prathercue.com/products/ging...31285187641402

As much sharpening as I do, and it's not a small amount, I have never thought about sharpening nail clippers.

Our kids went through a phase of needing to cut paper clips for their inventions. They discovered that nail clippers would work a few times. We still have those ruined clippers around somewhere. I worked on a pair once and could not save them. It made me mad at the time. These days our collection of things the kids ruined makes us smile.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Our kids went through a phase of needing to cut paper clips for their inventions. They discovered that nail clippers would work a few times. We still have those ruined clippers around somewhere. I worked on a pair once and could not save them. It made me mad at the time. These days our collection of things the kids ruined makes us smile.
    An old pair of garden clippers, from before my birth, were given to me by my dad. My oldest brother tried to cut some cable with them (back in the early 1950s) and put a nick in the blade. They are still my favorite clippers.

Garden Clippers THE SWISS closed.jpgGarden Clippers THE SWISS open.jpg

It is amazing how much irreversible damage someone who doesn't know about using the right tool for the job can do. Over time and a few sharpenings the nick on the clippers has diminished.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    An old pair of garden clippers, from before my birth, were given to me by my dad. My oldest brother tried to cut some cable with them (back in the early 1950s) and put a nick in the blade. They are still my favorite clippers.

It is amazing how much irreversible damage someone who doesn't know about using the right tool for the job can do. Over time and a few sharpenings the nick on the clippers has diminished.

jtk
    Those are dandy's! nick and all. One of my mentors is named Nick and his brother is Mark. Nick and Mark. Their Mom said she named them after the furniture.

I haven't done it but I would use a cratex wheel in a flexible shaft.

If they are typical nail clippers, Jimmy's suggestion of using a slip stone is likely the way to go.

On some nail clippers, once the handle is off you can spin the blades apart so they can be worked separately.

To me, a better solution would be to find a different clipper. Mine is a pair of flush cut wire clippers. These were a pair discarded by an electronics systems manufacturer about 45 years ago.

MS54 Flush Cut Wire Clippers Cutters.jpg
    (Note: this is an image copied from the internet)

I have found them especially useful for my toenails. At one time I had a problem with ingrown toenails. My fingernails are usually kept in check with a nail file. These come out if one gets cracked or partially broken.

jtk
    Podiatrists recommend cutting toe nails straight across. Try cutting a nail straight across with a curved clipper.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Podiatrists recommend cutting toe nails straight across. Try cutting a nail straight across with a curved clipper.
    Interesting, that may be one reason the MS54 model worked so well at dealing with my ingrown toenails. They have very straight blades. These are the kind you want to use when clipping the underside of a printed circuit board. They could be set against the board and flush cut 6-8 legs of an integrated circuit. That is kind of old school now days.

jtk

They may recommend it, but I doubt even they do it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    They may recommend it, but I doubt even they do it.
    In case you may have missed it, Paul F Franklin posted a link to some straight clippers > https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K35T751...roduct_details

jtk

jtk
    I have a doppelgänger story. Darling loaned our loppers to the neighbor who wanted to dismantle an antique wire cloths line. The neighbor kindly bought me a new pair of loppers after destroying ours. I sharpened the damaged pair and they became his.

The trick with the Gingher scissors stone is that it is so small that it has to be balanced on the blade with one finger. Mom and Sisters were better with the Gingher stone than the boys / men.