Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Old House Not using Festool

This Old House Not using Festool

I've noticed in various episodes that originally aired in 2023, that they are no longer using Festool tools on This Old House and Ask This Old House. Any thoughts?

It could be a sponsor thing. Are they sponsored by another tool company? It could also be just a coincidence. Or maybe a local store supplied them with free Festools, and then decided not to for some reason. Who can say?

Either way, it doesn't matter to me. I don't look to TV shows like that to decide which tool I'm going to buy. I have some friends in the music business and they all have the attitude of "I'll play whatever brand sponsors me and tell everyone it's the best". If you're a semi-famous to famous pro, where people might actually care about what brand you use, then you probably don't pay for many, if any, tools of the trade. And you probably make a good bit of money, or at least save a good bit of money, by using whatever you're given and told to use. Besides, if you're a successful pro, then you probably believe you got there based on your skill, and not based on your purchases. So you probably believe you could do the same work with any brand. It just benefits you financially to suggest maybe otherwise. Also, a lot of these semi-famous musicians I know who actually have preferences, will use different stuff at home or in the studio when no one's around, and then just make sure to use whatever they're sponsored by when in public or having their photo taken.

My point being, they're often just as much of a salesperson as the employee in the store, even if we don't think of them like that. So don't always trust what you see, as there can often be advertisements hidden in things we don't expect. Product placement is big business.

Last edited by Richard Coers; 07-09-2024 at 4:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Harris View Post
    It could be a sponsor thing. Are they sponsored by another tool company? It could also be just a coincidence. Or maybe a local store supplied them with free Festools, and then decided not to for some reason. Who can say?.
    I do not know if there ever was a sponsorship extended other than was was referenced by Richard, but all the initial Festool products that Tom Silva used in his business and in the show were purchased by him from Bob Marino, fondly remembered as "Uncle Bob" who was also a participant here at SMC before he retired and sold his Festool business. He used his own money for those tools because he discovered they delivered what was expected. (Bob got my money, too..."hey try this out". A week later, "How was it?" "Bob, here's my money." (Really)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A Google search reveals two somewhat contradictory situations. Several sites mention that Tom Silva and others bought their Festool tools. Other sites say Festool underwrites This Old House. If Tom Silva bought his own tools, why isn't he still using the Kapex saw along various drills and drivers used on previous shows instead of using mostly Dewalt and Makita now?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sack View Post
    A Google search reveals two somewhat contradictory situations. Several sites mention that Tom Silva and others bought their Festool tools. Other sites say Festool underwrites This Old House. If Tom Silva bought his own tools, why isn't he still using the Kapex saw along various drills and drivers used on previous shows instead of using mostly Dewalt and Makita now?
    Because things change over time...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Besides stating the obvious, I guess my question has to do with whether Festool and the this Old House franchise have severed ties and if so, I wonder why.

I expect it’s more to do with producers and marketing departments than the guys seen on TV. I never had any interest in remodeling shows, so can't really offer a good opinion on what was going on in the shows.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 07-09-2024 at 9:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sack View Post
    Besides stating the obvious, I guess my question has to do with whether Festool and the this Old House franchise have severed ties and if so, I wonder why.
    My links shows Festool was a 2018 sponsor and is not on the list in 2019. I guess you didn't want to look at my research, so here it is in a simpler form. They broke ties 4 years ago.
    Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 9.28.22 PM.jpgScreenshot 2024-07-09 at 9.29.07 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-07-09 at 9.29.33 PM.png

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I expect it’s more to do with producers and marketing departments than the guys seen on TV. I never had any interest in remodeling shows, so can't really offer a good opinion on what was going on in the shows.
    This pretty much sums it up for me.

It's strictly a sponsorship issue, nothing more. It can change whenever the contract is up for renewal.

At least for This Old House, half of each season they are doing a project in which the Silva's are not the primary contractor. In that case, it seems likely that the tools being used are whatever that contractor owns. For Ask This Old House, I would expect it to be whatever is sponsoring them, and if no sponsor, whatever tools the presenters like the most.

Years ago Festool sponsored Marc Spagnuolo of "The Wood Whisperer" YouTube channel. Marc did a video review on a non-Festool track saw and Festool ended the sponsorship for that reason. Powermatic also sponsored TWW for a number of years. When that ended, Marc switched his table saw to a SawStop. Life goes on.

I guess if people really pay attention to this, the marketing must work. I don't think it worked out so great for State Farm and Roy.

People like the Silvas and other on TOH are craftsman. These guys use tools for a living, they are not marketers or content creators. They use what they're told to use, by the people who produce the show and pay them. They may or may not like the tools they're contractually obligated to use on camera, it's just that simple. It's not complicated
    If Dewalt threw a bunch of money at PBS and their shows, you would see all yellow in the following years episodes.