Thread: Woodturners Resource

Woodturners Resource

As many of you know, WR has been down in recent weeks. I was just informed today, that WR is back up and running.

I hope this post is okay with the mods here at SMC

I am happy to hear that WR is back up, but it is not exactly the friendliest of sites.

First, the registration page insists repeatedly that you MUST use your real name as your user name. Except both versions of my name (Jim or James) are already taken. Oops, violating the TOS right off the bat. I feel sorry for John Smith.

Second, we already supposed to justify why we should be allowed to sign up for the forum: "Please tell us your reason(s) for registering at our forum:
    This info is used by the forum staff to evaluate your application here." This comes across as exclusionary and unwelcoming.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Morgan View Post
    I am happy to hear that WR is back up, but it is not exactly the friendliest of sites.

First, the registration page insists repeatedly that you MUST use your real name as your user name. Except both versions of my name (Jim or James) are already taken. Oops, violating the TOS right off the bat. I feel sorry for John Smith.

Second, we already supposed to justify why we should be allowed to sign up for the forum: "Please tell us your reason(s) for registering at our forum:
    This info is used by the forum staff to evaluate your application here." This comes across as exclusionary and unwelcoming.
    And indeed my registration was rejected because I did not (could not) use my real name.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Morgan View Post
    And indeed my registration was rejected because I did not (could not) use my real name.
    You can simply ask one of the admins, like myself, to try and solve the issue before complaining on another forum.
    Proper names are used to reduce/eliminate spammers and false accounts. Also, asking questions as to why you are joining helps to weed out bots. (are you a robot?)

Yours just happens to be a common name, if you would like to register send me a PM with your details and I'll see what I can get resolved. I'm sure we can find some version of you name or use something to your liking if not.

The registration page is not meant to make anyone feel uncomfortable, it's there to keep the site free of unwanted accounts, spam, bots and so on.

What was the reason for the shutdown?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    What was the reason for the shutdown?
    As I understand it, Host Providers did an upgrade which rendered the forum obsolete, this effected all YaBB forums not just WR.
    It's been sorted out now thankfully.

And Jim, in case you didn't see the PM, you registration issue has been resolved.