Thread: Sawstop Dado brake question

Sawstop Dado brake question

Is it safe to assume that this brake will work with any 8 inch dado stack? It's expensive enough and I don't want to replace my existing stack if it's not necessary.

Thanks!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

No, only certain dado sets will work with the SawStop cartridge is the official answer.
    Sawstop specifies what will and will not work properly with their saw with their cartridge
    Ron
    Old Codger
    In it for fun

Actually, just found this on the sawstop website, "Compatible with all standard 8″ dado sets up to 29/32″ thick".

Somehow overlooked it before posting question.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mackell View Post
    Actually, just found this on the sawstop website, "Compatible with all standard 8″ dado sets up to 29/32″ thick".

Somehow overlooked it before posting question.
    Okay, I will read my manual again, was certain in 2015 could only use certain types.
    Ron
    Old Codger
    In it for fun

Blog Entries
    I have three different dado stacks with different geometries. All work with the Saw Stop.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

Samuel Butler

I thought safety tooth blades might not work. NOt enough room to jam the stop in between the teeth. I mean then kind where the tooth has a depth limiter so each tooth looks like a letter tee.
    Bill D

Depends what you mean by "work".

The SawStop will turn on and cut with essentially any 8" dado stack. The issue is whether the safety system will function appropriately if triggered. At least in my manual, you can't use any stack with full-plate chippers or ones with anti-kickback designs.

Both will supposedly reduce the effectiveness of the brake in stopping the blade. And with the full-plate chippers, I've seen at least one picture where the arbor bent when the blade stopped it. Too much mass being stopped quickly.

This is why I kept my Unisaw, and have it set up for only dado's. Fortunately, I have the room for it.

I also try to use only blades that are a full 10" (not 250 MM), and have no safety LIMITERS.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 06-23-2024 at 2:23 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

The main limitation is the actual total diameter of the dado blade set; from tooth to tooth.

In addition, if you own the Sawstop Jobsite Saw, there is no adjustment on the arbor, so the diameter limitation is absolute. There is a statement on Sawstop site indicating the limitation of size. You might have to hunt a bit, but I believe that the limitation is a diameter of 8 1/8" or less. On the PCS, Contractor, and Pro saws there is an adjustment to move the brake farther away from the blade, but there still is a limitation.

I always thought that an 8" dado or box joint blade was truly 8" but that is not true. Freud's blades, for example, are too large. Sawstop's blade is made for the saw. Thre are others which meet the size limitation.

So, if you measure your dado set and it is within Sawstop's size limitations, it should work. It will be obvious if you install the brake and the blade. If it's too large it will hit the brake when turned by hand.

Sawstop also warns that a blade with anti-kickback teeth behind the cutting teeth may not stop as quickly with the brake.

I had an 8" Freud Super Dado set that was actually a whisker (1/8") over 8" and wouldn't work with the SawStop dado brake. I ended up purchasing a Freud SD208S 8'' Dado Set which had enough clearance for the brake. Anyone looking for a gently use slightly over 8" dado set?

Along with the standard no anti-kickback teeth suggestion, I thought sawstop also recommended dado sets with wing-style chippers instead of full size chippers. The reasoning was the full size chippers may damage the arbor assembly if the brake fires due to the extra mass.

Years ago, I actually fired my Sawstop contractor's saw with a Freud dado set. Stupid mistake hitting the metal on a zero clearance insert, not flesh.

Blade and cartridge were toast. The saw was just fine.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.