Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Shop Vac Died

It seems that shop-vac type machines are becoming disposable-my Porter Cable tool-triggered vac died recently after about 28 years. Loved that vac which was hooked up to my miter saw and used for other general shop clean-up tasks. Even auto vacuuming chores. Tried to take it apart to see if I could repair it but the insides were sealed plastic and no way to access the innards.
    May be time to visit the big box store or save for a Festool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    It seems that shop-vac type machines are becoming disposable-my Porter Cable tool-triggered vac died recently after about 28 years. Loved that vac which was hooked up to my miter saw and used for other general shop clean-up tasks. Even auto vacuuming chores. Tried to take it apart to see if I could repair it but the insides were sealed plastic and no way to access the innards.
    May be time to visit the big box store or save for a Festool.
    You’ll love the Festool.

Diann liked the HEPA filtration and low sound level so much she bought one for the house

Regards, Rod

I think the Rigids were the same as Craftsman for a long time, but not sure where that stands now.
    At one point I'm pretty sure both were made by Emerson. Especially with the changes at Craftsman, I don't know if that's still true.

I use a vac on my sanders. The way I have my sanding station set up, I don't have room for a DD so I use a commercial bag in the vac. Since it's only collecting the sanding dust, it takes a long time to fill up. It's an added cost but I've been satisfied.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have a ridgid that is virtually unused. They are good for many things. But not at all quiet. I like the idea of buying the smallest volume, highest power, and putting a dust seperator in front of it. I used this for a while on my bandsaw. Now it exists for project cleanup outside of the shop.

I believe mine is a 4 gallon 6 peak HP.

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/hd0300 this one would be convenient to build into a cart with a dust seperator

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    It seems that shop-vac type machines are becoming disposable-my Porter Cable tool-triggered vac died recently after about 28 years.
    This portion of the statement gave me a chuckle. I think after 28 years of use, you got your money's worth.

The Ridgid Shop Vacs have a lifetime warranty, it is not the LSA one though, so I never have had to make a claim though. I also have a very old C-Man vac that still works probably bought it in. I also have the Clear Stream filters and have not had to replace them. They work even if you accidentally suck up some water.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Rude View Post
    The Ridgid Shop Vacs have a lifetime warranty, it is not the LSA one though, so I never have had to make a claim though. I also have a very old C-Man vac that still works probably bought it in. I also have the Clear Stream filters and have not had to replace them. They work even if you accidentally suck up some water.
    That Ridgid lifetime warranty is mostly marketing from my experiences. Only certain parts are actually covered and that is all you get, the part. At a workplace we had several Ridgid shop vacs that were worked hard needing frequent repairs. Quite often it was better to just buy a new one than wait for the part and pay someone to install it.