Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Problem removing knife bolts on old Delta 6" Jointer Model 37-190

Glad it worked out , you put in enough work!
    Blood will flow when flesh and steel are one - Sting

Hi, thanks for the reply.
    These are the OEM blades from Delta. I am the only owner of this machine and Iíve never changed them.
    I did pick up a few 1/4-28 bolts at the hardware store to replace the damaged bolts, but they will be heavier than the other bolts (which were not damaged). This might cause the cutterhead to be unbalanced, So Iím going to wait for the OEM bolts I ordered from ereplacement parts

Mark

most of the jointers ive seen have Hex bolts. The general is the only one with square.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    Are you able to remove the cut-off bolts? There can't be much to grab on to...
    Yes, they came out easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    most of the jointers ive seen have Hex bolts. The general is the only one with square.
    How did I become a dinosaur at only 60? Traditional gib screws have square heads. Hex heads trying to pass off as gib screws is proof that the world is not getting better. Images to follow. If you have doubts, get out your saw or grinder and cut those hex heads off while they are down in the machine, (no thanks)!

Old(er) Delta = square ............Old Powermatic = square... more to come : )
    IMG_2066.jpg IMG_2068.jpg Screen Shot 2024-06-25 at 9.17.24 PM.jpg
    ...Screen Shot 2024-06-25 at 9.20.13 PM.jpg......................Screen Shot 2024-06-25 at 9.33.32 PM.jpg .....Screen Shot 2024-06-25 at 9.37.56 PM.jpg
    another old(er) delta = square, Sears = square,------ Powermatic = square

.Screen Shot 2024-06-25 at 9.42.20 PM.jpg......Screen Shot 2024-06-25 at 9.51.59 PM.jpg
    Davis and Wells = Square...Oliver = square, Foley Belsaw = Square, the list goes on.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 06-26-2024 at 7:06 AM. Reason: 2 photos from the shop & 6 snips from the web

Blog Entries
    Glad you got it done. For smaller stuck bolts, hex head or otherwise, I find a good socket with a 1/4" hex drive that fits a impact driver works, the rattle is just what is needed sometimes to loosen the bolt. To make sure I get a good grip, I will flatten the bit on a grinder to assure I get the maximum bite.
    NOW you tell me...

the 8" General jointer is square. The 14" SCM machines are Hex. The 20 Griggio is square. The 24 Wadkin runs large allen head screws through the head so a totally different system. Half my machines are hex head. They dont determine anything about the machine.

Ive had no issues on any of them. The generals are small. All the other machines bots are over twice the size of the general.

Hi
    I bought my machine back in ~1997 or so. Manual was printed in 1996. All 12 of the bolts in mine had Hex heads and the thread was 1/4-28.

If anyone does have a Delta 6Ē model 37-190, please give me a shout. I had to cut out several of the bolts in mine which were frozen and I had never moved the blades (light user). I bought 10 OEM replacement bolts from eReplacementParts.com and I almost needed to take a 2nd mortgage out for them (just kidding) but they were $5.10 each. But hereís my question, since I had all the bolts out, I am noticing that the threaded bars which hold the blades have a concave edge and its higher on one edge than the other. Just want to make sure I have them all back in the right direction. Would the higher edge go towards the blade? Thatís my thinking.

thx

Thanks Warren!

Yes, higher edge towards the cutting edge of the knives.