Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Understanding Walmart logic

Understanding Walmart logic

They started doing this @ 6 months ago. On line price is valid if I place the order on line, make their employee pick the stock and deliver it to my car when ready. If I want to go into the store and buy it myself, they charge me @10% more?

I go into the garden center for a sprinkler. I have to walk to the front of the store to check myself out then walk back to the garden center exit where they have a gentleman sitting there to prevent theft, and he can't check me out because those registers are not operable.

How is it more expensive for Walmart to have me service myself? They just want me to buy from Amazon?

Thanks.

Brian
    Brian

Don't try to understand their logic. Local store has about a dozen self checkouts for small quantities and about the same for full carts. Never see more than half functional on either side.

It saves capacity in their checkout line (a physical store’s largest bottleneck) Similar to the grocery store that will bring your groceries to your car after you buy them online. Extra revenue for an existing store.

Blog Entries
    Besides saving $ for less checkers, they likely save a little on people who stay in their cars not shoplifting. Besides, many people aren't going to trust someone to do their shopping unless there is a discount. Most of the store paid shoppers aren't going to be as discriminating as me on fresh produce or meat. It is doubtful they would select an item for having the longest pull date.

There are times when a person may innocently not notice a small item in their cart or in the bottom and it isn't charged. One time a couple of small boxes of eye drops was left in my cart. Ended up paying for them at self check.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Funny that my wife and I were just talking about thier onlone price. We went to the store and wanted to pick up something and it was $10 more then the online price. So I walked out to the parking lot and ordered it from my phone we went to do some other errands and came back to have them bring it out to the car.

I've never seen the online prices to routinely be lower than the in store prices. Yes, it happens, but not that often in my experience.

I read an article yesterday that Wal Mart is going to electronic pricing in 2300 of their stores. It will allow them to change the price on an item every 10 seconds. Part of the reason for doing so was so that the price on the shelf would better match the online pricing, other reasons being to increase prices on higher demand items and lower prices on items in lesser demand. They won't have to wait for the price change to be ordered and then wait for an employee to go on the floor and physically change the price tag.

The article also said some other retailers use the same system, one being Whole Foods.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    It saves capacity in their checkout line (a physical store’s largest bottleneck) Similar to the grocery store that will bring your groceries to your car after you buy them online. Extra revenue for an existing store.
    Maybe, but it still seems counterproductive. Thanks brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    I read an article yesterday that Wal Mart is going to electronic pricing in 2300 of their stores. It will allow them to change the price on an item every 10 seconds. Part of the reason for doing so was so that the price on the shelf would better match the online pricing, other reasons being to increase prices on higher demand items and lower prices on items in lesser demand. They won't have to wait for the price change to be ordered and then wait for an employee to go on the floor and physically change the price tag.

The article also said some other retailers use the same system, one being Whole Foods.
    The airline pricing model. Brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    It will allow them to change the price on an item every 10 seconds.
    This would be upsetting to people if the price went up while they were still shopping. So much for "savings locked in."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Mr. Sam is another who went to high school and college in our town. I met him at his daughters houses when I was 12 or so. He drove a beat up old truck at that time. He was already a multi millionaire. I wonder if current events would be to his liking. I think that they would be. He was a businessman.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 06-21-2024 at 9:06 PM.

In our state if you have proof of the price on the shelf they have to sell it at that price. I ended up with a $600 stero that they had priced at $400 and they made a big stink that that was a mistake. I pressed it and they had to sell it to me. Another couple that picked it up and the store told them it was a mistake so they didn't get it. I knew this was the law as I worked in retail stores for 20 years.

Personally I think this is a push to end retail stores. Simply put a warehouse can hold more goods per square foot than a retail store. It can operate with fewer employees. Theft is a much smaller issue. It's like the push to get people to use the fast food app vs ordering at the store. It's a long term thing. Start getting more and more people use to doing it and over time the old ways fade. COVID helped get the ball rolling. How many people are willing to pay extra to have a company like Door Dash bring them food? Back in the day you expected it to be free (but would tip the driver). Now lots of people don't even think twice at how much extra they are paying. Malls are dying and retail shopping as we know it is changing.

Our town is having to find new revenue sources. Retail sales tax covers less and less of the city budget every year. We have 3 big Walmart's and a Sams Club. We also have two gigantic warehouse / shipping facilities. Midway USA and American Outdoor Brands, they strategically built their sprawling complexes just outside city limits. My business license fee jumped from $20 a year to $125 this year. There is one little family owned hardware store left in the next town over. I shop there every chance I get. I hope they can survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Maybe, but it still seems counterproductive. Thanks brian
    What seems counter productive?