Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Epoxy Woodworker

Epoxy Woodworker

Just read a post where the guy called himself an epoxy woodworker. Made me think about other combinations; steel woodworker, non ferrous metal woodworker...... Got any other ideas?

…petro-chemical woodworker?

MDF worker.

CNC worker.

Pallet worker.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Just read a post where the guy called himself an epoxy woodworker. Made me think about other combinations; steel woodworker, non ferrous metal woodworker...... Got any other ideas?
    I’m an FBH woodworker

(Federation of Backyard Hacks)

Regards, Rod

Tree wood worker.

Old wood worker. (200 to over 1,000 years old)
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-20-2024 at 1:05 PM.

carpenter, craftsman, artist.

Also hand tool, hybrid, power.

And lastly, amateur, professional, YouTube content creator.

I prefer the overriding term, "Maker". Honestly, I don't really care what materials folks use to do their projects and I like to experiment myself. I appreciate the effort and end result. Do I like every project I see? No, because that's a subjective thing. At this point, I'm happy to just see folks actually making things because that's greatly fallen out of favor in the past few decades.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Maker is a good word. I mainly work wood but when the soldering iron comes out and I start writing C for an Arduino project, there isn’t any wood in sight!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I prefer the overriding term, "Maker". Honestly, I don't really care what materials folks use to do their projects and I like to experiment myself. I appreciate the effort and end result. Do I like every project I see? No, because that's a subjective thing. At this point, I'm happy to just see folks actually making things because that's greatly fallen out of favor in the past few decades.
    The term "maker" makes my skin crawl

Epoxy woodworker is an oxymoron.

Woodworking is based on a natural material and using it's unique qualities for it's best uses.
    Epoxy working is using a man made material that can be anything you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I prefer the term "Destroyer". I destroy trees to make furniture. I like to think about the duality of creation and destruction, where in order to create something new, you must destroy something old. Plus "Destroyer" just sounds more metal!

But yeah, I'm with you. I'm the kind of guy who looks at things and thinks "what if". I'm not going to constrain myself to one medium or material, unless I want to make the design process easier through arbitrary constraint. My biggest concern is, "has it been done before". While I'm not necessarily going to go out of my way to avoid repeating something, I do find it much more rewarding to create something that no one else has attempted, even if it's not necessarily "better" than what's been done before. And often times that involves unconventional mixes of materials.

So if a woodworking project benefits from epoxy, concrete, PVA foam, acrylic sheeting, cast aluminum, whatever... I see no reason to avoid it just to remain "pure".

I find titles pretentious. I always was uncomfortable calling myself a "woodworker". So "Maker" and "Epoxy Worker" also sound cringey to me.

I also find pretentious people who find titles pretentious
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 06-20-2024 at 11:43 AM.

Also dislike the term 'maker', along with 'bespoke' (since I don't live in the UK), and 'colorways'.

Perhaps that makes me 'old'. Ever since I was a kid, I have thought of myself as a bit of a 'tinkerer'.

My business name is (my name)+ Craftsmanship-Service

Add 'build' (noun) to the list...
    Last edited by Cameron Wood; 06-20-2024 at 12:32 PM.

I find the whole thing ridiculous.
    All my life all I've heard is, "I just want a nice finish on the wood that doesn't feel plasticy"
    Now look where we are

Don't get me started on the term "hack"

I generally identify as a Carpenter. Occasionally I try to get away with nothing more than "I am self employed".