Thread: Paralysis by analysis.....

Paralysis by analysis.....

With the dining table I am building, the number of new "things" I am learning and doing is endless. I have been home a week and today I finally got the courage to quit overthinking making a pattern for the bending form for the curved stretchers. Using a large router circle jig I made several years ago from IIRC a ShopNotes article, I made the arcs for the form. It worked like a charm. I have been sweating this for weeks. Couldn't quit worrying and thinking about it while gone for 2 weeks out of town and state. Now I have the master patterns. Now it's on to it's 5 copies.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

American President, "My nervousness exists on several levels. " Brian
    Brian

An Engineer friend of mine once opined, "I know more and more about less and less until soon I'll know everything about nothing."

I think this is a big difference between those of us who build stuff for a living and those who do it as a pastime. I never worry about how I'm going to do something. One client of mine when I was working on old houses used to always worry about how it was going to be possible to do whatever the next step was. At first he was very concerned every time he would ask me how I was going to do something and I told him I didn't worry about it ahead of time, but just figured it out when I got into it. If I try to decide how I'm going to do something, it would most likely be changed anyway once I started. After a few months, he stopped worrying about such things too, and just told me to do whatever it was however I saw fit.

Sort of like the Neander thread about what do you want to learn next. I never think about any of it as having to learn something new. I do stuff most days that I've never done before. All I need is the access to tools and I can figure it out with no worries.

I get what you are saying Ken. When I was young I did not know much, and in a way that was a blessing. I just did it. But at this age, especially with shop work I will get stalled because I now know so many different ways to do everything, and so argue with myself about the best plan. Especially on my own stuff, no deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    An Engineer friend of mine once opined, "I know more and more about less and less until soon I'll know everything about nothing."
    There was a sign hanging in the Navy tech shop at my first duty station (China Lake CA):
    "We have done so much with so little for so long, we are now qualified to do everything with nothing forever."
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.

Most things fall between Maverick's "Don't think, just do" , and "it's time to shoot the engineer" so they don't make any more "improvement" changes.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I get what you are saying Ken. When I was young I did not know much, and in a way that was a blessing. I just did it. But at this age, especially with shop work I will get stalled because I now know so many different ways to do everything, and so argue with myself about the best plan. Especially on my own stuff, no deadline.
    So very true
    Ron
    Old Codger
    In it for fun

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Soaper View Post
    Most things fall between Maverick's "Don't think, just do" , and "it's time to shoot the engineer" so they don't make any more "improvement" changes.
    The problem is, many engineers feel they have to keep making changes otherwise they won't have anything to do. With nothing to do, how long before management lets them go?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

In my case, it's a lack of confidence. Now retired and on a fixed income, I try to minimize the effect my hobby has on the budget. Having paid $15 per b/f for the walnut I am using, I don't want to waste wood and my nearest supplier is 100 miles away. I try visualizing every method I can think of or read about before doing something. Couple that consideration with a lack of confidence because I have never bent wood before. Well, regardless, I overcame the worry, having cut and routed the pieces for the bending form. 1 piece of the plywood popped a blank spot and I glued the piece back in. As soon as the glue dries on that, I will glue up the two sections on the form and then it's rip and cut thin strips for bending.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The problem is, many engineers feel they have to keep making changes otherwise they won't have anything to do. With nothing to do, how long before management lets them go?

jtk
    This is especially true with cars. I see absolutely idiotic changes between cars that are often a change for changes sake. For example, on my Ford trucks the last one you could set the clock by hitting clock and punching in the numbers on the keypad. Perfect right? on the new one I have to go online [no paper manual] and read it every time the time changes. And on and on. The quick 1/4 turn plastic drain plug makes me nervous.

I get what you are saying Ken. When I was young I did not know much, and in a way that was a blessing. I just did it.
    A similar thing is where you do something amazing because you don't know ahead of time how hard it's supposed to be.

I worked on a large software project early in my career that we staffed almost entirely with new college grads. If we had known how far over our heads we were, we would have bid it for double the time and people, and probably would have failed miserably.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

This is especially true with cars. I see absolutely idiotic changes between cars that are often a change for changes sake. For example, on my Ford trucks the last one you could set the clock by hitting clock and punching in the numbers on the keypad. Perfect right? on the new one I have to go online [no paper manual] and read it every time the time changes.
    Can't the truck do that by itself?

I went through a similar exercise with the first DST change on my current car (2016 Honda). Looked up how to set the clock, went out to the garage, and discovered the car had already changed it. Turns out there's a buried menu option that enables/disables auto-DST: it's either enabled by default or the tech turned it on during the delivery pre-check.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

In one of my several careers directing streamlining and reorganizing of business processes, one of my favorite polemics:

"You can torture the data until it confesses"
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.