Thread: Source for staples

Blog Entries

Source for staples

I have a Craftsman 9 6847-M1 Staple gun and I need to purchase more staples. Specifically I'm looking for stainless steel staples.
    Screenshot 2024-06-13 093913.jpg

Has anyone that owns the staple gun shown above have a current source for stainless steel staples? Or, regular steel staples.
    The staples I have measure 0.486" across the back. The inside dimension is 0.445" Individual staples are 0.050" thick.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Doesn't that gun take standard T50 staples?

If so, then stainless T50 can be found in a lot of places.

Sears did a lot of loopy stuff, but, I don't think they would try to make people choose between their proprietary staple size and Arrow T50. I could be wrong though. This is Sears after all.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 06-13-2024 at 10:48 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Lee, try the following:

stapleheadquarters.com
    fastenerusa.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Doesn't that gun take standard T50 staples?

If so, then stainless T50 can be found in a lot of places.

Sears did a lot of loopy stuff, but, I don't think they would try to make people choose between their proprietary staple size and Arrow T50. I could be wrong though. This is Sears after all.
    Can you measure a T50 and give me the actual dimensions of a staple. Most online sources only list the size of the box....
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I'd gladly measure one for you - if I had one to measure!

I haven't seen my Arrow staple gun for close to 25 years. The last time I recall using it was to staple targets to a backstop & I haven't gone to an outdoor range since before Y2K.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I think the craftsman stuff did take a weird size - I was using boxes of staples last week & ran out of T50, so went to the shelf with old stuff and tried to make some Craftsman work. About 50 yrs ago, one of the partners bought an electic crapsman gun so we kept it stocked. Anyway, the old stuff did not fit the Arrow T50 airgun.

With good ( ) chinese digital calipers, most T50's seem to measure about .419 - .420" across the back, but some are as small as .413"
    Measuring a single staple across both legs yields .050:" - .051"
    Wire thickness flat = .024" thick

IIRC, i finally throw the craftsman broken boxes in the construction trash but if i find more, will measure, they would certainly be available to you but i really don't think there is much of use.

Suggestion if i may:
    If you use hammer tackers, just get Arrow compatible.
    If you can be tied to an airline, the Arrow gun i bought last winter to install mesh everywhere to keep the squirrels out works really well and did not cost very much. For some reason, think i picked it up at Harbor Freight, but it might have been Lowes.

The craftsman branded stuff is gone & most was trash anyway.
    For some reason i think POP made the staples for Sears. POP appears to be a Bostik brand, not the performer (Pops Staples), if you google.

The 2 NOS boxes of 3/8" copper clad steel staples (2,000 total) here do not match your dimensions but they are free if you think you can use them.
    .503" outside .462" inside, .021" thick flat wire, .050" broad each staple
    Last edited by stephen thomas; 06-13-2024 at 8:01 PM.

Based on the numbers that Lee gave in the OP, it appeared this is a half-inch crown stapler, not a 3/8" crown like T50. Hence, the example link I gave. Maybe I misread things.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    The staples I have measure 0.486" across the back. The inside dimension is 0.445" Individual staples are 0.050" thick.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen thomas View Post
    most T50's seem to measure about .419 - .420" across the back, but some are as small as .413"
    Measuring a single staple across both legs yields .050:" - .051"
    Wire thickness flat = .024" thick
    Thanks Steve, the staples you have are 1/16" too narrow and would not fit on the slide bar.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen thomas View Post
    The 2 NOS boxes of 3/8" copper clad steel staples (2,000 total) here do not match your dimensions but they are free if you think you can use them.
    .503" outside .462" inside, .021" thick flat wire, .050" broad each staple
    Steve, What brand are these "NOS" staples. They might fit. The channels the staples ride in is .514 wide and the spring slide measures 0.435 wide The .050 is the correct size to shoot staples one at a time. I would have to find stainless ones for the project I have.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

What brand are these "NOS" staples

POP brand (Bostik corp). Formerly the pop rivet/(USSM co, i believe)
    Send me your address if you want to try them. They are worthless here.
    I know at some point you'll pay it forward to someone else.

Sorry no stainless, though.

ehmcofab at g male dot com

I have an oddball siding coil nailer. I just took it to the nail store and had them figure out what works. They are about half the price of the box stores.
    Bill D