Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY really tiny hollowing tools?

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Ethan, Tones Briggs left some at my studio that might work for you. Stop in this week and take a look.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

I'm not sure this will help you but I went with the longer allen keys and some round high speed steel which I hardened. Here are some photo of some of the tools I made. I have tried to show the grind I made which works great.

.IMG_9985.jpegIMG_9984.jpgIMG_9983.jpegIMG_9982.jpegIMG_9981.jpg
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    I went with the longer allen keys and some round high speed steel which I hardened.
    Hi Peter

What hardening process did you use?

Thanks
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

I'm guessing you mean for the High Speed Steel. When I heated it to bend it I then quenched it in oil and then checked to see how hard it was and if a file slid off it I left it. I do not go deep with any of these maybe 1 to 1/2" at most and take it slow and at least so far I have never had any issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Strong View Post
    Hi Peter

What hardening process did you use?

Thanks
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

I'm guessing you mean for the High Speed Steel. When I heated it to bend it I then quenched it in oil and then checked to see how hard it was and if a file slid off it I left it. I do not go deep with any of these maybe 1 to 1/2" at most and take it slow and at least so far I have never had any issues.
    Thanks for the details, Pete.
    Neil

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

Thanks Neil, your post inspired me to make a few more miniatures. Yesterday I made these two from some small blocks of Spalted Maple I had lying around. In addition I decided to add handles to the allen key hollowing tools I showed. For some reason I have not been interested in turning and to make these was a real treat!IMG_9996.jpg
    Pete

Pete

That's a pair of cutees and making full use of the spalting pattern.
    Neil

Those look excellent and familiar.

These are made from tiny files. They work well without additional hardening. Care was taken to avoid heating the tip while the offset was made.

IMG_2124.jpg

So cool to see others making tools! Nothing fancy just something that works!
    Pete