Thread: Powermatic Bandsaw Brake

Powermatic Bandsaw Brake

Hi all,

I've got a new job at a new shop where I'm responsible for maintaining the machines. One of them is a Powermatic model 81 bandsaw that they've had forever that apparently used to brake but hasn't in years. I opened it up and it looks like the cast iron of the brake has been almost fully worn off. I've tried to look for replacement parts, but haven't found any. Is there another way I can repair this? Or, another manufacturer's parts I can put in? Sorry to not know much, this is my first job where I'm responsible for more than just building pieces.

Image.jpg

A clutch or brake shop should be able to reline the brake shoe. Or get a VFd and use electronic braking with no moving parts to wearout.
    BilLD
    http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/655/4323.pdf

part 81-129
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-12-2024 at 4:10 PM.

I very much doubt that was iron on iron from the factory. It should have had some friction lining from the factory. Probably asbestos based back then. Be careful with the brake dust when working on it. Most likely riveted on with brass rivets and/or glue. You can do a riveted one easy enough if you can get the correct width lining. Or some kind of high temp epoxy.
    BilLD

That B15 listed on that parts list is the shoe material code and the lining is 1/4" thick and 1" wide.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 06-12-2024 at 11:21 PM.

It looks to me as if the brake arm in the picture has broken - the top is not a nice uniform cut but jagged. If so, you may have to make a curved piece to mount the lining on and then mount that to the brake arm. May be easy or not so easy to accomplish.

Bill H. may be right. It may have worn clear through the lining then just started wearing the arm and drum. Is the round drum okay. I would expect grooves worn by the brass rivets if they went beyond the wear limits. Should have heard the brake squeal metal on metal for a long time before it got that bad.
    Bill D